The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday hubby found a very crunchy goby on the floor. :( it's our first (and hopefully last) fish-suicide by jumping... we think (since he was an exuberant digger/sand sifter) that he dug too much at the base of a weight-bearing rock, and cause a rock-shift in the tank (several rocks are at new angles/out of place from where they were on sunday night), which spooked him and sent him flying out of the tank to the floor. :bawling:

we have a 90gal on a stand (no canopy/cover/hood) with light fixture suspended from ceiling, and we are wanting to mod the tank somehow to help prevent future jumpers from leaving the tank....

i know canopies are pretty much out due to cutting down light/getting covered in salt/heat/etc.... so what does a reefer do?

i think i've read about some members making a lip, others making hoods....

please tell me or show me what you've done to help prevent losing fish to jumping, so i hubby and i can decide what's best for us and our tank. i'm concerned that if we come up with something on our own to stop jumping it might have other ramifications (like making maintenance awkward, or heating tank too much, or other things we've not even thought of), so i figure i'll pick the brains of those who've been at it much longer than the 4 1/2 months we have, lol

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
a lot of folks these days are buying DIY window screens from the hardware store and placing it over their tanks. Using fiberglass and plastic materials should keep you from having any issues with corrosion and keep the fish in the tank.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
sorry to hear about you loss, we all go through it.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/29-nanocube-build-135525.html

See my 29 NC build thread above for a DIY mesh top that is very easy to build. It doesnt block much is any of the light make int to the tank. There are a coupe of options on where to get the mesh. The 1/4" mesh is better for smaller fish, while the 1/2" mesh is better for medium to large fish. The 1/2" is available at Lowes as bird netting or deer netting. And you can find the 1/4" online for the best price at:
http://www.watergarden.org/s.nl/it.A/id.152/.f

·
Retired Wanderer
17,195 Posts
We had three firefish kill themselves despite having 1/2" eggcrate over the top. Now 1/4" screening is going to replace that. The screening frame is DIY from Home Depot.

·
I got Crabs
1,458 Posts
I used the canopy my tank came with, part of the stand... it is about 8 inchs tall. I removed the lid of the canopy now only have the walls. I did not like the look of just the bare top of the tank, and hated all the heat the canopy kept in. Removing the lid solved this. No jumpers either, but I cant say for sure this would work not sure how high a fish could jump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts