Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Josh and Chelsea's 90 SPS lab build

New updates on page 32.

Update 1/22/13:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original post:

I figured it was about time to start an upgrade thread now that one of the big tanks is actually running.

So far, Chelsea's 90 is up and running. We were setting up a 25 for her but we found a deal which we could not refuse on craigslist for the complete 90 set-up. We decided to split the costs of her set up and divide up the components. Right now the 90 is running with a lot of the equipment for my 120 which is why I decided to conjoin the build threads. Most of the things from my 20 have been taken down and are being sold off. All of my stuff will be in the 90 until the 120 is done and then we will get the 120 100% running and redo the 90.

Here are some pictures of the simple set-up we have running right now:

Being that I'm so used to spending a ton of time building custom glass and acrylic parts for everything, it was a really nice change of pace to throw together a quick bare-bottom, reef-ready tank with a Rubber Made sump. :rotflmao:

Most of my corals have lost some of their color from the move due to the sudden change in parameters, flow and light but check out the polyp extension now!

Next up for this tank is going to be a whole lot of new flow, LEDs and then probably an ATS.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Looks nice doing a similiar shuffle soon one tank goes to temp holding tank 20g goes into a frag build state and half of the 30 goes into the frag tank other half to the 150 lol almost need a flow chart to keep the equipment organized lol

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice doing a similiar shuffle soon one tank goes to temp holding tank 20g goes into a frag build state and half of the 30 goes into the frag tank other half to the 150 lol almost need a flow chart to keep the equipment organized lol
It gets confusing!:help:

I still don't know where all of the equipment is going to wind up. These two tanks are going to be back-to-back on the same wall so it is tempting to tie them together.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
It gets confusing!:help:

I still don't know where all of the equipment is going to wind up. These two tanks are going to be back-to-back on the same wall so it is tempting to tie them together.
Yeah that would be hard to resist. I'd both are similiar styles soft Lps or sps I would do it. Or if both are mixed reef. Only trick would be a skimmer large enough for both.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that would be hard to resist. I'd both are similiar styles soft Lps or sps I would do it. Or if both are mixed reef. Only trick would be a skimmer large enough for both.
Well the 120 is going to be an SPS tank with a low bio-load and the 90 will be a mixed reef with a medium bio-load. My skimmer is rated for 225 gallons and I believe it could easily handily both tanks.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We really weren't going for the cheapest option, if we tied them together, it would be to more efficiently use the space under the tanks. If all of the filtration equipment were on one side, the other side could house a large mangrove lagoon. :)

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome pics!
Thanks. All of the pictures in this thread thus far have been taken with an iPhone 5. I'm going to whip out the DSLR and get some better pictures sometime soon but I would like to get a longer glass scraper first and clean this thing. All of my corals are now in the tank and I'm real excited that the cardinals have been schooling out in the open regularly.

·
SPS'n It!
1,232 Posts
Looks nice!I think you could fit a few more pumps in there tho.Lol!:evillaugh3: I read in the other thread about all the detrius so I know why they r there but had to give you a lil crap anyhow!Can't wait to see the 120 progress.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks nice!I think you could fit a few more pumps in there tho.Lol!:evillaugh3: I read in the other thread about all the detrius so I know why they r there but had to give you a lil crap anyhow!Can't wait to see the 120 progress.
You should see the bucket of detritus that we pulled out of the tank the first day when setting it up... it was everywhere! With all of these power heads, I'm going through a filter sock every 3-4 days right now.

I think we are going to run four koralia 1400s and either two vortech mp40s or a single mp60 on the 90. When the 120 is set up, both tanks will get sand so the 90 will keep the koralias and the 120 will get the vortech(s).

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm subbed! I will be following these builds! I am a sucker for build threads! I think that is one of the most exciting aspects of this hobby!
You will not be disappointed. Most of the things on the 120 are going to be DIY including the rimless tank, the LEDs, stand, sump, etc... I may pick up an mp60 for it this week as well as the components for the LEDs.

·
SPS'n It!
1,232 Posts
A rimless will be very cool!Wish mine was with a c2c overflow n closed loop and bout twice the size.......Lol!Ha Ha I wish!Can't wait to see it come together and I think it's sweet your girl has a tank too!

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A rimless will be very cool!Wish mine was with a c2c overflow n closed loop and bout twice the size.......Lol!Ha Ha I wish!Can't wait to see it come together and I think it's sweet your girl has a tank too!
I am building the 120 rimless with C2C overflow but no closed loop. The stand will be finished black with a granite top which I already picked up. The granite is 55"x29" so it will be exposed a few inches all the way around. I'm excited to get more involved working on it.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took a few livestock pictures tonight/this morning but I don't have time to edit them all so I did one to share with you guys.

Meet Snooki and Jwoww... Yes, they got these names by being orange. We promised ourselves that we would never own clowns or any other fish which quite literally "bite the hand that feeds" but these guys came with the 90 and are some rather attractive elderly folks. Chelsea is going to keep them. For now, they are staying in the display but they will ultimate wind up in a custom 20-30 gallon sump by themselves with an anemone.

·
Acroholic
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:funny: That is pure awesomeness!
You know, I have never really been a fan of clownfish but these guys sure are photogenic. I will try and get up a few more tonight.

So Chelsea and I have been talking about Christmas. Sadly, my whole list could be purchased off of Marine Depot. :rotflmao:

Do you guys think I should upgrade the skimmer pump to the bubble blaster 3000 or simply add the red devil wheel? (PSK 2500)

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
Is say go with the BB pump.. the air draw is much better from what Doc has said.. I have the Sicce pump on my SWC extreme and it is a bit louder than I'd prefer.. and the airdraw is less too.. I'm looking to upgrade to the HY3000 too.. looking forward to seeing this build MINION. The CBB will be a happy fish... Kudos... I think I'll tag along...

1 - 20 of 995 Posts