The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I got the tank today! Its about 190 gallons. Its going to take a while to finish, since we have a wedding in September, and will probably be moving back to Fresno to buy a house. So this isnt going to be quick, but hopefully will be worth while.

The tank is 60" long, 36" deep back, and 20" tall. Its only 190g, but I thought it was way larger. The dimensions are awesome IMO. It seems like a nice set up for some SPS and larger fish. The tank was COATED with coraline algae, as you can see. I just filled it up halfway, and poured in a gallon of some distilled vinegar, and the stuff started basically melting away.

The stand is a little worn, but overall in good shape. I will give it a good sand down, and probably paint it black, with some clear coat.

This is going to be a sweet build, but a real lengthy one.

The tank before I started cleaning it:

^^^ Poor picture of the depth. I stopped taking the pic where the overflow began.

Now the set up is kind of confusing me on this one, so I could use a little help. Its currently set with the back left corner as an overflow, draining to the sump. I have a couple 3/4" or so returns in the back of the tank, for the return from the sump Im imagining.

Now in the right rear, there is an overflow, which isnt drilled. There are two return holes from this overflow. One is going towards the front of the tank, and one is pointing towards the other overflow in the back.

My plan with that is to throw say a mag internal pump, with a spray bar going along the whole backside of the tank, under the rock racks. With the other outlet/return pointing towards the front.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Pics would be really helpful here. As far as the Mag in the tank, not so much a good idea unless you can get to it for cleaning etc. Since its acrylic drilling for a CLS would really be a good idea. This will save you some hassle in the long run. After two or three time of having to fish a pump out of the tank, you'd be wishing you'd have drilled. The spray bar is a great idea. You can incorporate that as well as flow for the upper portion of the column and still only use one pump. This would also allow you to pick a better pump that will run quieter and add less heat.
Have you considered something like an OceansMotions 4-way or Squirt for the return? you could gt some awesome flow all over the tank with this and the CLS. No dead spots and easy cleaning, mostly from the sump. Plus, this way you'd have a return pump, skimmer pump and CLS pump and that would be it unless of course you got more goodies! The whole thing can be set up very simply for ease of installation an maintenance.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So heres my plan for equipment. Any ideas would be appreciated

Lighting:
Hamilton 60" 2x250w MH w/ 4x65w PCs. The bulbs will be 14k of some sort, with the PCs being 50/50. I may go with a 10k bulb though...I know the PCs dont give any beneficial lighting really, for the most part. But Im tired of my tank looking like its not lit up besides the measley 6 hours a day. So I think the PCs will still give the lit Look at least, throughout the day.

Pumps/powerheads:
From sump, I planned on running a eheim like someone suggested.
For flow, I plan on using my two Tunze 6045s that I modified.
A Mag drive pump in the overflow being used as a spray bar and another outlet.
I also plan on having my modded maxijet 1200 hidden behind a rock stack facing towards the front.

Skimmer:
I dont really know, lol. Im looking between an ASM and an Octopus. I dont know which one, but I plan on getting one rated for around 300g or so.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I was taking forever to post that before I read your post. I'll listen to your ideas about the CLS. I was debating that also.

As far as the panes, thats coraline. And after a couple hours of a little elbow grease and vinegar, its all gone. I didnt even bother with the rear lol. The acrylic is actually REALLY clear. More clear than I thought it was going to be.

AS for the 4 way, Thats a bit of money to spend. A guy local in my club has a SCWD. But that thing is only capable of up to like 170 GPH or something small I think. But I think maybe I may drill for a CLS, and eventually run an Oceans Motion 4 way.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Sorry, I was taking forever to post that before I read your post. I'll listen to your ideas about the CLS. I was debating that also.

As far as the panes, thats coraline. And after a couple hours of a little elbow grease and vinegar, its all gone. I didnt even bother with the rear lol. The acrylic is actually REALLY clear. More clear than I thought it was going to be.

AS for the 4 way, That's a bit of money to spend. A guy local in my club has a SCWD. But that thing is only capable of up to like 170 GPH or something small I think. But I think maybe I may drill for a CLS, and eventually run an Oceans Motion 4 way.
The squirt is much less than the 4-way. That's what I am going to do. I didn't realize you had Tunze. They are good but if you don't want to see them than a CLS is the ticket. I'm hooked on em. The spray bar in that big of a tank is almost a must IMO and can also be used as a rock support in the back.
For the CLS, a Dart or Cuda would be great. The Dart is all but silent and he Cuda ( what I have in the 150) is hardly noisy at all. My small pumps make more noise.
Maybe for the return you could put a bulkhead in each top corner in the top brace. The squirt hooked to his would be the hot ticket for random flow and very happy critters! For CLS you could do it the way I did mine. You would not be disappointed. It works awesome. When you get you ideas narrowed down, let me know if you want some more ideas and help.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So the dart, the smaller one running my spray bar, and the rest of the CLS, sounds great.

Now where Im confused is the SCWD. I was thinking of getting that return line, putting it directly in the center, against the rear wall basically. Then having the 2 outlets doing their thing. That way theres less piping in my tank. I really wanna keep the piping to a minimal.

As for the tunzes, I dont mind them at all, aesthetic wise. I just had the look of the wires though.

So:
Dart to run my CLS, with spray bar. Maybe having 4 outlets, plus my spray bar.
My return pump will be the larger Eheim, going to the scwd in the center rear of the tank.
Maybe have the two Tunzes somewhere if needed.

so for all intensive purposes, I can remove that corner overflow from my right rear of the tank, where the Previous owner had his pump sitting in?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tank is 5', 60". the 3rd MH will sit right in the middle where theres an 8-12" brace. So it wont be necessary. I figure I will use my rock stack I have in my 60g cube on the left side, which is being lit by a 250w MH, then I can just do another on the opposite side. Leaving tons of room for softies and LPS on the bottom, along with swimming room.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I wouldnt bother with the squid. They rob a great deal of flow and are limited as to what they will put out.
The oveflow I would dril it and use it. That will increase your surface skimming in the tank which is important, easy enough to do. I understand wanting to minimize the plumbing. Maybe on the return you could run the two lines along each top edge, out of the way and have them aimed towards the rock work or even a bit higher. With a little experimenting this could provide an outstanding flow pattern that helps to get all the swept up junk from under and behind the rock, right to the overflows!

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
The tank is 5', 60". the 3rd MH will sit right in the middle where theres an 8-12" brace. So it wont be necessary. I figure I will use my rock stack I have in my 60g cube on the left side, which is being lit by a 250w MH, then I can just do another on the opposite side. Leaving tons of room for softies and LPS on the bottom, along with swimming room.
That'll work great. Mine is 5' also. Two will be fine then. When deigning the sump, think about slow flow. With the right flow in the tank, all the junk will make it to the sump and the slower the better for it all to settle for easy siphoning removal. Keep it simple down there and you'll be happy with it. Depending on logistics, you drill and add a bulkhead with a fitting for a hose. Then when it comes time for a WC, drain the largest section of the sump to the great out doors and then add new water! Easy!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, and no more suspending, leading me to join RC lol. Im gonna make a quick draw up of my idea....

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I know youve heard it but dont skimp on the skimmer. Find the one you want and just plan on the cash. When you get to the stand and sump, think about the future. Will you add a CA reactor some day? Media chambers? Also is there room to put a small tank under there for top off?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know youve heard it but dont skimp on the skimmer. Find the one you want and just plan on the cash. When you get to the stand and sump, think about the future. Will you add a CA reactor some day? Media chambers? Also is there room to put a small tank under there for top off?
Skimmer, I already planned on going overboard. I was gonna go with a good quality one, rated for 300+ gallons. I have heard good thing about the Octopus. And Fly (IIRC) says his ASM is as good as his ER, but a lot cheaper. So its probably between one of the two.

Crappy pic, but heres my general idea...

Maybe have those Tunze 6045s angled in 45 degrees towards the rockwork, and the flow coming towards them.

Its not too clear, but all the flow I listed was from the CLS, I didnt show the stuff from the sump. I figure I'll just have a couple generic bulkheads coming in, maybe just one that V's out.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Looks like some good flow. I was going to say Octo or ASM. I love my MRC but it takes more attenion and he pump would add noise for sure. Mines in the garage so it wont be an issue. In a perfect world you could get the Smaller ReefFlo needle Wheel!

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
What about running the Tunze in front of each over flow blowing along the sides, then using the returns in the from corners? This would give a great back to front sweep with a roll up the front and the returns would push it all towards the overflows and you could still split each return so you could also get flow in the upper middle of the column. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts