The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my 20gal tank. It's housing a huge purple LTA and a big RBTA. It's got a little hang-on whisper filter and is normally skimmed by an AquaC Remora. However, I ran a surface skimmer on the Remora, and forgot to top it off for two days. Then, the MaxiJet 1200 ran dry... So, the pump on the Remora needs to be replaced, as it's barely trickling water out right now. So, I hung my old Prizm on there to help skim until I can get a new MaxiJet 1200 for the AquaC. Lighting is a single 175 watt pendent with 10,000K bulb. It's got approx. a 4" DSB and somewhere around 20lbs of live rock.

-Joe

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Here's my new 75gal reef ready tank by All Glass. I'm slowly getting supplies for it. I hope to have it up and running by mid-summer. I'm planning on keeping a few soft corals and many sps species in it eventually. It will also house my rbta and purple lta once it's cycled and stable, in hopes that they'll thrive even more and hopefully split eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here's my sump for the new 75gal. It's acrylic, and I'm in the process of assembling it. It has a few small leaks in the seams, so as soon as more acrylic cement arrives, it'll be patched up.

It holds a bit over 20gal by my calculations, and it will house a DSB and macro algae. It will also hold the heaters, and the large end compartment will house the new skimmer. I'm hoping it'll be an AquaC Urchin Pro, but if there's not quite enough vertical space for that, I'll go with the EV-120. Should be fun to get the sump plummed in soon!

-Joe

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If you want to see how big the anemones have gotten with the MH lighting, here's the "before" shot. This is only a couple days after I put MH over the tank. It's been about 9 months now, so you can see just how much the MH lighting has helped them. It's really incredible to believe something as simple as hanging a new light over a tank can do something like this for your inverts. (Lighting used to be 130 watts of PC lighting.)

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BTW, that's a small candy cane frag in the corner. It's been moved to the front left corner recently, as I learned it was getting too much light on the other side. Since moving it, it's actually gotten bigger and one of the polyps split! I'm thinking of taking a frag of the new growth to Greg's store so he can put it in his tank with the other new frags.

Are you interested, Greg? It's free, as I really can't handle corals in this small tank, especially with the huge anemones right now. The frag was free with an order I made a while ago from Indo Pacific Sea Farms. Consider it a thank you gift for us finally now having a good saltwater fish store in EC.

-Joe

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Now, time to go to work to make money to support this addictive hobby ... :)

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi Joe, it looks really nice. Thanks so much for posting the pics! It will be fun to see your new tank when you get it up and running.

Now did you feed the anemones or have they just grown with the lighting change? Wow, I cannot believe how large they are now!!

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
It's always interesting while comparing old and current pics. You just don't realize how much things change in your tank over time.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't really say eBay has great sumps, but they work and they're cheap. It's taking a lot of time and effort to get seams that don't have tiny leaks, but it's still worth it for the lower cost. And it's nice being able to put the inner pieces wherever I want them, I guess.

Anyway ...

Both anemones are fed a small piece of raw shrimp every 3 or 4 days. It's the feedings that really make them grow, I think. They are noticeably plumper the next day after they're fed, so the food really helps them grow. But, I have no doubt that the MH lighting helps as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts