The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I came back from a 3 week vacation yesterday (while i had a tank sitter) to find my 3 gallon nano reef coated in algae with all my coral and livestock dead. I have decided to either strip down the tank completely or convert it to something else. I was thinking about a jellyfish tank an researching moon jellies but can't find any information on their sizes. It seems upside-down jellyfish are smaller and more popular but i prefer something more active that suits the stereotypical jellyfish image. Any chance that this could be a reality?
Thanks

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
To keep moon jellyfish, I believe you have to have a specialized tank. The tank has to be rounded, if I am not mistaken, and have a certain current to keep the jellyfish suspended. But if you were interested in the upside down jellies, then I would speak to wii64brawl, he has a tank of them. :)

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
since moon jellies don't have a brain or any other sensory receptors, you pretty much need to think for them, ie designing the tank to their needs. it does need to be round and have a specific flow patter because they'll get stuck in corners and die

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is there a way i can add inserts into my tank to round off the corners to prevent this from happening? i can probably sort out the rate of flow issue as it's not very strong already

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
I suppose you could make your own. Just bent some acrylic into that shape and use silicone to keep it there.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
For a first time jelly keeper I would recommend upside downs. Moon jellyfish require at least 3x more work than upside downs. You need to feed enriched BBS at least twice daily and you need to develop a highly efficient filtration system that is jellyfish safe (which is hard to do).

I only have to feed my upside downs BBS a few times a month. They get everything else from strong lighting. You don't need as much filtration since you can sand and algae or plants (I have mangroves). I have a skimmer (unnecessary), 13x3w LEDs, a heater, and a weak powerhead. That's it. Fairly simple setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts