The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my girlfriend and I bought a few snails and another pompom crab today. During acclimation we turned the powerheads off and noticed a larger than normal little critter swimming around (we have plenty of pods but nothing like this) after closer examination we found what looks to be a jellyfish. If it is indeed a jellyfish, we are obviously going to be ecstatic... I mean one of the simplest of life forms are popping into our tanks from seemingly nowhere. It is a very cool feeling- hard to describe!

Anyway- here are some photos as well as a video. Hopefully one of you have seen something like this or can identify for us. We don't want to turn the powerheads back on but I am afraid we must :(

/edit IF IT SAYS AN ERROR HAS OCCURRED, REFRESH YOUR BROWSER!
or you can just use this shortlink: http://youtu.be/4CCzIZGPtDU

The video is really the best way to check this guy out. I mean it's moving just like a jelly does. It's pretty hard for to think this is not a jelly but I just want to hear all of your experiences with anything like this :)

Thanks ahead of time for taking the time to check these out and help us figure out what they are/ where they came from!:beer:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you recently purchase any live rock? And if so, from where?
The last addition of LR was well over three months ago. Even then it was just a few 1-2 inch rocks for deco and fraggin'. The main LR was added a year ago which is why I'm curious as to how these guys propagate and how exactly they are born...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, that's weird. I bought a few snails a while back from my LFS, and while handing me the bag the guy pointed out a piece of a serpent seastar that was moving around at the bottom of the bag. He asked me if I wanted it out of the bag, because it could possibly survive and grow into a full sized one over time. When you acclimated the snails, you didn't dump the water from the bag you got from the LFS in your tank did you?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's weird. I bought a few snails a while back from my LFS, and while handing me the bag the guy pointed out a piece of a serpent seastar that was moving around at the bottom of the bag. He asked me if I wanted it out of the bag, because it could possibly survive and grow into a full sized one over time. When you acclimated the snails, you didn't dump the water from the bag you got from the LFS in your tank did you?
No we take about a gallon from the tank and put it into our 5 gallon for acclimation. We float the bags in it, then dump the bags into the 5 gallon, drip another half gallon or so in there and then just drop the livestock in. My girlfriend is very meticulous so she like to acclimate everything. (not to mention we had a pompom crab) I'm almost positive it didn't come from our recent LFS trip. I think it was just a coincidence that he showed up at that time. We had the powerheads off and the lights all the way up for a good hour and a half while we did a few frags and rescapes. Maybe that brought him out from under the rocks? Our LR is actually a very old (what looks like a nest coral) piece that has inch thick branches, and not to mention TONS of crevices within the branches...

I don't know why that's relevant but I think maybe he somehow propagated in the rocks and came up when the light was on very high and there was no flow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone had experiences like this? Thoughts? I was hoping for more interaction :( I thought this was so cool!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts