The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys first off i would like to say i am in no way bashing the company or promoting another company... i do however want to state my views on this pump.. if any of you have seen the pump you can see that it resembles a crude vortech mp10.. it has similar specs too.. don't you guys think this is a little overboard? :idea:.. well ecotech people put in a lot of research and effort to decimate our pockets with their great quality pumps...i love the mp wave makers and they are IMO the best wave makers in the market besides tunze i however do not like the other ecotech products.. now where are the business ethics guys? moderators pls tone down this message if I'm being offensive.. jebao should respect the industry and the people who put in their ideas and sweat to make it easier for us not saying that ecotech is gonna run out of business soon but come on man..have some respect.. competetion is one thing but this is on a whole different level.. i agree jebao is a company whom i respect a lot for putting out pumps that can move serious water for those who don't want to or can't afford to splurge that much money and thats a good thing because in a way they help keep prices sane. its not like a carbon copy but still have some respect for others...i wish all these companies would realise that we the reefing committee (they the entrepreneurs included)have no one else except each other.. soon we will have to deal with tougher regulations i bet due to the selfishness of others who harvest without mercy...we need to be nice to each other:dance:

cheers and happy reefing

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree that the two products are the same kind of design and function, but aren't all wave maker pumps. They all pretty much do the same thing. I'm pretty sure Ecotech patents on their products and if a violation of the patent was taking place they would surely act on it, No? If you ask me the Tunze, Korallia, Jebao, and Ecotech pumps all look the same. These kinds of similar product lines happens in just about all product categories. Just look at iPhone and Android. Some of the designs are blatant copies but the court battles last decades and most of the time the only thing that happens is both companies have lost serious $$$ in legal fees and lawyers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
all it tells me is that the Vortech's and Tunze's can be made a lot cheaper. 400.00 and up for a pump is just silly.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I never had anything Tunze break ever. That is a quality product. I don't care what it looks like.

·
Registered
319 Posts
people have trouble with Tunze and Vortech. are they good pumps? yes they are, but I wouldn't say that you will never have a problem. I'm running a Tru-Temp heater with controller that many say is junk and a waste on money. I bought it for my discus tank over five years ago and now in my sw. the only thing I had to replace was the temp probe for 17.00. I'm retired and can't afford high priced pumps. my two Jeboa's just keep going.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Here's the issue there is absolutely nothing tunze or vortech can do. Jaebo is made in China. How many possible designs can be made to make a pump. It's just like a pair of jeans I can go to war mart and buy a pair of blue jeans for $20 I can then go to macys and spend $100 on pretty much the same pair just some one else's name on them. I'm not to worried about it I don't have vortech money so it works in my favor to be able to buy a jaebo. I show no brand loyalty since what are they gonna do for me. If I lose my job will they send me a new pump if one broke down probably not. I would show a lfs loyalty since they will help you out if need be.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I bought a Jebao RW-4. If they didn't make wavemakers I could afford I would buy something else in the $20-$40 range, not $200-$400 range. So the other company isn't losing my business because they would not get my business to begin with and unless you have interest in the company you shouldn't be concerned about either unless of course you just feel ripped off now.

Otherwise enjoy what you have and if you can afford a $400 wavemaker, then more power to you. I am sure they are more reliable anyway.

And like someone else said, so many things we buy look exactly the same made by how many different companies. Should all the companies sue each other for making heaters that look exactly the same?

·
Biggest Fishy
351 Posts
Its all about preference.. in my opinion it is nothing like the Vortech..the pump and wire are still in your tank unlike Ecotech Marine's Vortech...
... same as Kia's models look like other luxury cars :)

R&D and other factors goes into the quality and price ( wages to manufacture). There has to be a balance though so companies can recoup their hard work and R&D before someone reverse engineers it to create a knock off.
Having said that more competition is always good for everyone

I try to support the local economy whenever I can... it helps create jobs

Each brand cater to their nich markets though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought a Jebao RW-4. If they didn't make wavemakers I could afford I would buy something else in the $20-$40 range, not $200-$400 range. So the other company isn't losing my business because they would not get my business to begin with and unless you have interest in the company you shouldn't be concerned about either unless of course you just feel ripped off now.

Otherwise enjoy what you have and if you can afford a $400 wavemaker, then more power to you. I am sure they are more reliable anyway.

And like someone else said, so many things we buy look exactly the same made by how many different companies. Should all the companies sue each other for making heaters that look exactly the same?
i do not however feel ripped off... mind you i bought the 5th wp40 in my country malaysia as my first wave maker... still have it running.. decided i wanted another one and got another wp40 but from a different batch.. horrible .. so different from the first :bigeek:.. felt sad and got the mp40.. few weeks later another mp40..still love the wp40(the first one) jebaos success was due to that batch.. yes you are right.. they are more reliable.. not just the vortechs but the tunzes.. those things are as tanky as they get for quality wave makers..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
all it tells me is that the Vortech's and Tunze's can be made a lot cheaper. 400.00 and up for a pump is just silly.
what about the research and testing? the quality customer service,good quality parts..? those things cost cash... it would be easier to just take a design and copy off it..less cost too.. you know it works why waste cash on testing and more research?;) but that price... my knees quiver when i think of the day i walked to the cashier with my first vortech..trust me it wasn't nice...:rotflmao:

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
I love my Jebaos. IMO, competition drives innovation. If Jebao is selling just about the same thing as Vortech for a fraction of the price, Vortech will be forced to find ways to produce their product for less, or they will have to make an innovation that warrants the price.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
what about the research and testing? the quality customer service,good quality parts..? those things cost cash... it would be easier to just take a design and copy off it..less cost too.. you know it works why waste cash on testing and more research?;) but that price... my knees quiver when i think of the day i walked to the cashier with my first vortech..trust me it wasn't nice...:rotflmao:
Jebao has been making water pumps for 30 years. We have stuff made overseas. And the Chinese can and do make a good product when they want to. Some of their engineers are just as good as ours. As far as testing goes.... You might not get 100% tested products unless you pay to have a company inspect them for you. Competition is good! The Chinese can make a really reliable product by the thousands and still use quality components.

For the price of two MP40s I can buy ten WP40s. And have some money left over for coral. If I have a pump last 2 years.... That 10 years worth of pumps. Will your MP40s last that long? I have Jebaos. I like them. They work great. I have great coral growth. It may not be a name brand in the United States. But in China Jebao has been helping people with Koi ponds for 30 years.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jebao has been making water pumps for 30 years. We have stuff made overseas. And the Chinese can and do make a good product when they want to. Some of their engineers are just as good as ours. As far as testing goes.... You might not get 100% tested products unless you pay to have a company inspect them for you. Competition is good! The Chinese can make a really reliable product by the thousands and still use quality components.

For the price of two MP40s I can buy ten WP40s. And have some money left over for coral. If I have a pump last 2 years.... That 10 years worth of pumps. Will your MP40s last that long? I have Jebaos. I like them. They work great. I have great coral growth. It may not be a name brand in the United States. But in China Jebao has been helping people with Koi ponds for 30 years.
this has nothing to do with my preference for labels or products from different nationality.. i am a malaysian buying american products.. if the roles were reversed i would have supported jebao on this... do you have mp pumps? i have both jebao and ecotech...i agree it may have been my sore luck that i got a bad one but i don't think they can rival the quality.. but hey thats just me ...they made pond stuff for like a long time and not only helping people in china.. they have helped me a lot too.. i don't think 30 years..its definitely more but they have not been making reef stuff for 30 years let me tell you that..yes they have been in the koi game for a while... my jebao sterilizer works like a charm for my pond. corals don't need fancy pumps.. even a simple powerhead can get good growth.. its more of providing flow.. i have been asking my acro whether it prefers jebao or mp pumps... hasn't responded ...YET:lol:.. as for how long my vortechs will last i don't know.. as you have mentioned that the chinese has made a really reliable product lets see.. no bad vibes so chill;) because so far they have not convinced me as a consumer.. my vortechs are from 2008.. so lets see how long they last.. no repairs yet.. have been moved 8 times and cleaned every 5 months...yes i agree competition as i have mentioned helps and benefits everyone.. it keeps everyone on their toes and prices are kept at sane levels..

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love my Jebaos. IMO, competition drives innovation. If Jebao is selling just about the same thing as Vortech for a fraction of the price, Vortech will be forced to find ways to produce their product for less, or they will have to make an innovation that warrants the price.
this is what I'm hoping will come out but I'm sure there are better more ethical ways to compete.. its not competition when its not your own design
cheers happy reefing

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree that sometimes competition drives innovation, however I don't truly believe Ecotech Marine and Jebao are competitors. The pumps they each sell perform the same function sure, but their target audiences are not the same. Like eric3316 wrote
"the other company isn't losing my business because they would not get my business to begin with" I also use Jebao pumps, but that does not equal a lost sale for EM. Profit and reputation is what drives innovation at EM, they will not give up because someone else is selling a cheap knock off.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree that sometimes competition drives innovation, however I don't truly believe Ecotech Marine and Jebao are competitors. The pumps they each sell perform the same function sure, but their target audiences are not the same. Like eric3316 wrote
"the other company isn't losing my business because they would not get my business to begin with" I also use Jebao pumps, but that does not equal a lost sale for EM. Profit and reputation is what drives innovation at EM, they will not give up because someone else is selling a cheap knock off.
thats what gives me comfort.:banana:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
people have trouble with Tunze and Vortech. are they good pumps? yes they are, but I wouldn't say that you will never have a problem. I'm running a Tru-Temp heater with controller that many say is junk and a waste on money. I bought it for my discus tank over five years ago and now in my sw. the only thing I had to replace was the temp probe for 17.00. I'm retired and can't afford high priced pumps. my two Jeboa's just keep going.
lol the famous jagers... funny how a company that makes some solid pumps can make a heater like that.. while it may hold good for you and i sure hope it does.. i hope that you run multiple undersized heaters as a team as opposed to just one big one so that you do not run the risk of frying the system if one heater desides it is experiencing a middle age crisis.:lol:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I really don't think Jebao is in the same category as EM. Each have their different price points. If EM wanted to make their product stand out they shouldn't have made it so easy to rip off. I personally don't care about if a product has great R&D. As long as it works and lasts a while. I will spend my money elsewhere. Water movement is water movement. Plus who wants to hear their wave makers whine when they ramp up and ramp down? Maybe EM built in that feature to give their customers the full effect. Haha!

I should hire some midgets to move there arms back and forth in the tank. I would also pay them to make wave noises. One of them could make seagull sounds occasionally. Now that would be worth spending the money on!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I really don't think Jebao is in the same category as EM. Each have their different price points. If EM wanted to make their product stand out they shouldn't have made it so easy to rip off. I personally don't care about if a product has great R&D. As long as it works and lasts a while. I will spend my money elsewhere. Water movement is water movement. Plus who wants to hear their wave makers whine when they ramp up and ramp down? Maybe EM built in that feature to give their customers the full effect. Haha!

I should hire some midgets to move there arms back and forth in the tank. I would also pay them to make wave noises. One of them could make seagull sounds occasionally. Now that would be worth spending the money on!
lol:rotflmao:.. midgets gonna be mad.. why do people complain about the noise.. don't they know how to adjust the spacer..:doh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts