The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So last Saturday I discovered a crack in the sump are of my 24g Nano Viper HQI where the light mounts to the tank. As you can Imagine I was irate since this tank was less than two weeks old, so I called JBJ first thing Monday and chewed them out! They said they would replace the tank and no cost to me and ship it out via ground shipping free. I complained about having to wait for the ground shipping and told them to split the expedited fee with me, which they agreed to. After looking closer at the 24g I figured it was probably my fault it cracked, I should have mounted it to the wall not the tank like JBJ instructs you too, and that it was fixable. We split 3 Day Shipping, which was supposed to arrive on Thursday, it showed up on Wednesday, and when I opened the box I discovered they had sent me a Brand New 28g tank with the pumps and wavemaker! So basically I paid $60 extra for a brand new 28g Nano and once I fix it, a 24g Nano. I can't complain 2 Nano Cubes for $350 with everything included!

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Ok... yeah, that's nice... call company, gripe them out of a new tank due to an issue you made and get a free tank and brag about it.... seriously, Karma dude, Karma...

This hobby is niche enough and things like this only make it harder on the other hobbyists out there.

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Ouch I cant help but feel like the vendor got taken advantage of on this one. Thats bad mojo man :confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason the tank truly cracked was the bracket that they make for the HQI Viper Clamp-On is crap, and they instruct you to attach it to the tank. Which if you tighten it just a hair too much, you apply too much pressure on the glass. That was my fault, I Should Have Noticed The Crappy Design, and that it would fail. That why I say it was my fault, it truly wasn't. If you would have seen the crack, you would be able to tell it was from the light bracket. My only fault was trying to follow their instructions, I should have done it like I have it now and mounted the light to the wall, but they make it seem as though it should be fine on the tank, obviously not! I know about Karma, because of JBJ I spent My New Year's Day Morning suck saltwater off my floor and trying to make sure I got everything into a rubbermaid before it died. They sell hundreds of thousands of tanks a year, and they couldn't come up with a better design? The BioCube 29 HQI has the right mounting setup for the light, that's how the JBJ should be, but it's not!

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Ok... yeah, that's nice... call company, gripe them out of a new tank due to an issue you made and get a free tank and brag about it.... seriously, Karma dude, Karma...

This hobby is niche enough and things like this only make it harder on the other hobbyists out there.
+1 reefs are hard enough, and add a little bad karma..... :wavey:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whats the bad karma, that they designed and sell a tank with a inferior clamp-on light, that if it is tightened a hair to much will crack your tank? Or the fact they sent me the wrong replacement tank? I don't get it?

When I originally posted this I guess I didn't explain what happened correctly. It was only my fault in the fact that I SHOULD HAVE NOTICED THE INFERIOR DESIGN FOR ATTACHING THE LIGHT TO THE TANK, AND SHOULD HAVE MOUNTED IT TO THE WALL!

It's amazing that a company like JBJ who has sold so many tanks and had so many problems, would design and sell this product, it doesn't work. The clamp has metal bolts with plastic caps that screw directly to the tank. Has anyone here ever seen the Bio Cube 29g HQI and how that light mounts? That's the correct way!

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
The bad karma part has nothing to do with the cracked tank. They were more than willing to help you out and clearly shipped you the wrong order. Instead of calling them and notifing them your good with, the too bad so sad approach. Unless i'm misunderstanding the terms of replacement. To each his own :wavey:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just called them and they said that since I was a repeat customer that they had upgraded my tank at no charge. I think this might have been all they had to ship out that day. But I'll take it either way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts