The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i still cannot get onto this website via my blackberry so i can only get on here at the library. I can access just about everyother website just not this one.

i just wanted to give everyone an upday on what is going on with my tank and whatnot.

i get my starphire glass on the 17th of this month. my skimmer is almost completed. my stand is almost completed. thats about it.

if anyone is interested in seeing whats going on visit_this_websight. thats actually a link to my skimmer build thread but you can navigate the website from there.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
hmmm... I have no issue getting on TRT with my Blackberry. Nice work on the skimmer though :)

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I am going to be interested to see how well the tube stands up to an ORCA pump. I know the physics behind the thinner wall and it holding itself together but 1/8" acrylic to hold in an ORCA is asking a lot of the acrylic. I may have to join that site :)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just so you all know... It will suck if my skimmer breaks.

·
Registered
835 Posts
nice looking skimmer,
but i think you may want to put more support rings near the base of the skimmer bc the way physics works with a cylinder is that the water is not pushing down on the base of the cylinder it pushes out. take a look at a pic of a grain silo, at the top the rings are spaced apart and as you look down at the base they get closer together. or instead of puting more they will put stronger ones in place, down at the bottom

(look at my example pic)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey fat tony I was going to try anpm you but the page wouldn't load. Geoff has my email addreess. If you would could you getit from him and email me all your browser configuration settings and general settings. Thanks if you and its ok if you don't.d

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I just saw Geoff's comment and I disagree. The thickness is more of a limitation than the joint is when it is an overlay joint and you get a GOOD seam there. It is much like welding metal where the joint is stronger than the surrounding metal. One of the breaking tests for acrylic joint methods is to glue a 90 degree corner, let it cure, then turn it upside down and smash it. If the joint breaks, bad joint. If the acrylic itself breaks, its a good joint.

From the pics and the calculations, he did about 3/4" overlay which is what he and I talked about a month or two ago. 39.25" creates the 12.5" circle and that leaves 3/4" from his 40" acrylic to make the overlay. Doing the math and you can figure out why my skimmer for my 120 will have a 14" body unless I change my mind. That 24" jig is wearing on me.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Oh, will they allow me to join that site even though I am not in MS? I didn't try. I figure if I am a member of PMAC (South Carolina), NFMAS (Jacksonville), ARC (Atlanta) then MS wouldn't be a stretch for someone in Alabama :)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have several alabama reefers there. Join I need someone to talk to there they are all pretty quiet.

I got my phone working too. I turned off javascript.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Cool that you got it working. I will look into subscribing when I get back home tonight. I have to go work on my jig for making 24" tubing :)

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Hey fat tony I was going to try anpm you but the page wouldn't load. Geoff has my email addreess. If you would could you getit from him and email me all your browser configuration settings and general settings. Thanks if you and its ok if you don't.d
I finally got around to looking at the settings :)

BUT... I see that you already got it fixed ;)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When I saw that your blackberry was working I started messing with all the settings. Its funny how the tech at blackberry couldn't figure it out.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
LOL... mine won't accept new friends on the messenger for some reason :)

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Randy I ended up using a 48inch long piece with a circumfrence of 47inches for a diameter of 15inches. And yes the seam is very strong with the 1 inch overlap.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i am not concerned with the strength of the joint from the adhesive. i am concerned about the stress caused by the overlap. since it is not an end to end joint the overlap is creating a place where the pressure inside the skimmer is trying to fold the acrylic along the seam. the seam itself is not going to fail, the place where acrylic is trying to fold along the seam i think is of concern.

G~

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could be Geoff. I filled it friday to check for leaks and it was fine but the water was only in it for a short period of time.
It will be running in the garage for a while. I will be testing it while cooking my rock I think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts