The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have a 55 gal tank with about 65# LR, two bubble tip anenomes, a Young Coral, an open brain coral, various button polyps and sponges on the LR. As for fish we have one each of: buddha cardinal, chocolate clarkii, golden damsel, atlantic pygmy angel, goby (not sure what type anymore), and a regal blue tang. We run a wet/dry, trickling filter with a venturi type protein skimmer/aerator. The tank has been running about 20 months and seems to be pretty happy (low nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia) with plenty of corraline (sp?) algae. (I tried to insert a picture, but I am not sure how to do that.)

We have been running the tank for a while and were primarily focused on fish keeping, with the LR added for variety and added nutrient removal capacity. We are looking at adding more corals, but I am lost reading the posts on-line between the different types and names of the corals.

Basically, I need help with some of the reef tank jargon, especially with coral names and types (LPS, SPS, Xenia, etc). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good website or book that would help? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Two great, and fairly inexpensive coral books would be
1) Corals - by Eric Borneman
2) Corals: A Quick Reference Guide - by Julian Sprung.

the Borneman book has lots of information about corals, care, problems, etc. Very Detailed, and a great reference all reefers should own.

the Sprung book is more of an "atlas", which is good for ID, but it only gives a handful of symbols to indicate lighting, placement, flow, etc requirements. That book is divided into SPS, LPS, Softies, etc. That way you can quickly and easilly look up what type of coral we're talking about on here!

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Stan, if you need xenia (which is type of soft coral), plenty of people on this board, including me have plenty to share. I personally like the reading the book by bob fenner and get the basics first then read the book by eric borneman. I use the julian sprung book as a reference but both are awesome books.

Ray

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.