The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
30 gal. Indo-Pacific Reef Tank (30 gallon-tall tank with a Berlin classic sump, needle wheel skimmer, Current USA Outer Orbit w/moon lights (1x150w 10k HQI-MH/2x65w dual actinic/4 lunar lights), Sedra submersible pump (KSP-9000 90w, 900 GPH), Ebo Jager heater 75 watt, 48 lbs Live Rock (Walt Smith Premium), and 25 pound bags Sun/day sand)

AND

3 African Chiclid Tanks (55, 45 and 20), but that's another story.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...I hope it will be nice! I'm plumbing the tank-to-sump today. I've created a 1/2 inch pvc frame for the live rock that will run water through it for current. To increase pressure in the PVC, I think the frame will run off a separate pump from the Sedra 9000 that I'm using to return water from the sump to the tank). If I get the tank filled today, I'll take some pics. The live rock is curing in a bin, and I'm anxious to get to aquascaping. :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The start of the project

So we had this room with a door into the master bathroom (the master bathroom is also accessed from the master bedroom, so this second door was redundant and obnoxious). The plan was to build in bookshelves along the whole wall (covering the door) and to build in a fishtank into the bookshelves that could be serviced from the bathroom. Anyway, here are some low res, camera phone pics of the start of the project...more to come...

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today's pic...I'm pretty pleased with the tank's progress. I just finished building and installing an over-the-top CLS for more current (it's not running yet). I've been working on the "back-end" trying to enclose the sump so my wife can use the bathroom again...lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And here are some of the livestock: Tonga Fighting Conch (the larger of our two) having breakfast; two Pacific Nassarius Snails RACING across the sandbed for a moonlight dinner; and one of our Green Chromis hanging in "da big cave".

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATED TANK STATS: 30 gal. Indo-Pacific Reef Tank (30 gallon-tall tank with a Berlin classic sump, Tom 1,000 GPH surface skimmer overflow box, NWS Pinwheel mini skimmer with needle-wheel pump rated at 240 GPH, Current USA Outer Orbit w/moon lights (1x150w 10k HQI-MH/2x65w dual actinic/4 lunar lights), Sedra submersible pump (KSP-9000 90w, 900 GPH), Ebo Jager heater 75 watt, 1/10 hp Ecoplus chiller, CLS w/ Mag-5, 36 lbs Marshall Island live rock, 18 lbs baserock, and 25 pound bags Sun/day sand (about 4 inches of golden round pure aragonite).

LIVESTOCK: Randall's Pistol Shrimp (Alpheus randalli); two Tonga Fighting Conch (Strombus gibberulus? Nassarius species? I'm confused here...more research!); 10 Pacific Nassarius Snails; and five Trochus Snails (Trochus radiatus); 3 Green Chromis; and (of course) the hitchhikers. Did you know that in the event Alpheus randalli lose their larger, snapping claw, they possess the ability to reverse claws? The missing claw regenerates into a smaller claw, and the remaining small claw will grow into a new snapping claw. In the laboratory, severing the nerve of the snapping claw induces the conversion of the small claw, resulting in a shrimp with two large claws (claw symmetry has only been documented once in nature).

COMING SOON: An upgrade to a Mag-12 on the CLS, coral and (drum roll) the Indo-Pacific mangrove-grassflats fuge!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today we identified (thanks to help on TRT!) our first Aiptasia (I'd like to identify whether it is Aiptasia pallida & Aiptasia pulchella--I'll read up)--actually I have now spotted two of them. Ugh! They are in an awkward spot to reach, so we are considering biological control with either a peppermint shrimp or Berghia. I may try to go after the larger one with a syringe. Alas...Water params are good although our calcium is WAY high. We may add a red Open Brain Coral (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi) this weekend and then start in with some Euphyllias (e.g. torch, frogspawn, hammer).

NO2 0
NO3 0
NH3
NH4 <0.25
PO4 0
dKH 196.9 KH (11dKH)
Ca2 660
SG 1.021+
PH 8.4
Temp 79.6

Please comment away...Thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tweaked Aquascaping for Labor Day

Update on our tank!

We tweaked the aquascaping a little over the Labor Day weekend, and here's a pic to show the current set-up. Also a pic of one of our Nassarius Snails (we love these guys!). The schematic shows the proposed mangrove/grassflats fuge.

We just added a BTA, Acropora and Euphyllia glabrescens to the tank, and I'll post pics once they have acclimated a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just a quick update on the Indo-Pacific biotope set-up. Here is the Fuge after the planting of the seagrass (shoal grass) and then after the addition of the mangroves. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We added a handful of cerith snails and tonga fighting conch to our seagrass/mangrove refugium, and they have done a great job with some of the micro and the macro is doing well. We are seriously considering adding a species from the genus Ablabys to the tank. As you probably know, this is a relative of the lionfish (same order--Scorpaeniformes) but from the family Tetrarogidae instead of Scorpaenidae which is the family from which the popular genera Pterois and Dendrochirus (aka lionfish and dwarf lionfish) come. We're thinking specifically about a male Ablabys taenianotus (the Cockatoo Waspfish). If you have any thoughts, please share!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts