The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
XM lights that is.

It was getting close to time to change my MH bulbs. I originally bought a Hamilton Technology retrofit that includes 3 250W MH and 2 140W VHO actinics. I was never really happy with the color of the tank, which is a 180 gallon mostly sps tank, nor the growth rate of my sps. After doing some research and discussing the "color" issue here on TRT, I decided to try some different bulbs. Wiskey enlightened me to XM bulbs, and after doing some more research I decided to give them a try.

I got them yesterday and fired them up last night. All I can say is .. holy mother of light Batman ... these bulbs are awesome. After just 10 min I could already tell a difference in the brightness, after 30 mintues, the tank was eaisly 4-5 times brighter than before. So much so that I can now tank pics next to the tank WITHOUT the flash being triggered due to the increased amount of light the tank gives off!

Awesome ... awesome bulbs, I recommend them highly to anyone.

Following will be some before and after shots of the tank.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some pics of the new bulbs.

Here is a pic of the size difference between my old bulbs and the new XM's. My old bulb is on the left.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a FTS before the XM change.

And a FTS after the XM change.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before;

After:

Actually, after seeing this last shot, it's not really a good representation. I'll try and get a better one, the green in the mushrooms "pops" more unter the XM's.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before;

After:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
XM 10kK 250w SE bulb is the beset bang for the bux on the market when run with an electronic ballast.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
holy frog spawn bat man

so glad yo like your new bulbs
they look good
Thanks Amy, yeah I really like them. I just can't get over how much brighter they are! I've since added two layers of window screen over the tank and cut the photoperiod in half to decrease light shock to the corals. I can't give them sunscreen so this is the next best thing :p .

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
XM 10kK 250w SE bulb is the beset bang for the bux on the market when run with an electronic ballast.
I have since found this out. I wish I had known this before I bought this retrofit as I would have used electronic instead of M58 ballasts. Oh well, something to remember for the next tank. They are however doing better than the Hamilton bulbs I had, so I'm anxious to see what the tank does over the next several months.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Well my dsl is down, so with this crappy dial up backup I might get to see them by oh 5 oclock. I am also gonna go with xm. It is what I asked for but the lfs couldn't get them so I ended up with coralife. I am buying online from now on! Oh and if it as big a difference as you say dont forget to acclimate. Don't want to burn anyone up. What k did you go with?

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well my dsl is down, so with this crappy dial up backup I might get to see them by oh 5 oclock. I am also gonna go with xm. It is what I asked for but the lfs couldn't get them so I ended up with coralife. I am buying online from now on! Oh and if it as big a difference as you say dont forget to acclimate. Don't want to burn anyone up. What k did you go with?
Sorry about your DSL, I hope it comes back soon. I bought my XM's online from AquaCave. They had them the cheapest at $59 each plus free shipping. I went with all 250W 10K. As for acclimation, I have two layers of window screen over the tank and have cut the photoperiod in half.

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few more befores:

And Afters:

These last two afters were taken after the bulbs had been on for about 15 minutes. The color changed alittle more after 30 minutes. The green faded a little more, but even then the monti and acro were still noticabley greener than before.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
nice shots!

I might point out that Doug McIntyre at ReefTankLighting carries these bulbs and miscellaneous retrofit parts for MH lighting at a great price and is a sponsor for TRT...

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's a before and after of my crocea clam.

After

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I might point out that Doug McIntyre at ReefTankLighting carries these bulbs and miscellaneous retrofit parts for MH lighting at a great price and is a sponsor for TRT...
I haven't checked, but would an electronic ballast work with the wiring of my existing retro, or would I have to buy a whole new retro?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A few fun shots I took:

·
To Boldly Reef ...
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This next pic is my favorite ... this is the first time that my blue tort has actually LOOKED blue.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
Great pics!!! Very glad you like the bulbs Doc! :)

On the M58 ballasts the XM10K will put off slightly more light than on a electronic ballast.

I think it's Par 112 Electronic,..
Par 137 M58 or something like that (work is too buisy to check)

But with the M58 ballast the bulbs will not last quite as long, and the ballast will loose more power to heat,.. but not really enough to make it worth your money in switching IMHO.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 45 Posts