The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"i've fallen and I can't get up". By the time I find out that my turbo snails have been sreaming for help, they're dead. Three of them have already fallen and died from exaustion in the sand, and I have had to save each one at least once. Are there other snails that are less prone to this?

Also, my smaller emerald crab somehow got stuck in one of the power heads. Luckily I got him out before he died, but he may be on his last wind. My first problems.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I check my tank once a day for snails on their backs and if I find one, I just flip them back over with a long wire I use. Nassarius snails are cool, if they fall on there backs, they can flip themselves back over. I have about 150 of them in my 180 and they always keep me entertained.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my snail fell and this last time i could not save it in time because my diamond watchman gogy barried it and i did not find until about a week later!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so should I plan to buy a couple at the fish store every visit. My emeralds and nassarius snails seem to love the meat though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rchull69 said:
I check my tank once a day for snails on their backs and if I find one, I just flip them back over with a long wire I use. Nassarius snails are cool, if they fall on there backs, they can flip themselves back over. I have about 150 of them in my 180 and they always keep me entertained.
Yeah but the nassarius snails don't clean the glass and rocks, they tend to the sand.

·
Registered
299 Posts
True, but have you ever stayed up after lights out? My glass is covered in Nassarius snails an hour after the lights are out. They are nocturnal scavengers. I see tracks in the algae on the glass, I think they control very little algae, but I like them none the less. I have about 50 Margarita snails as well, they do pretty good with the algae and I have to flip one over maybe once a month, they track on the sand pretty good.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, the margaritas are nicer looking, just cost a little more. Do the magaritas doas good a job as the turbos though?

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I use ilyanassa snails. They clean the glass and sandbed. The coolest thing is that they bury in the sand until you feed then they all come out at once looking for left overs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts