The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had it with the hair algae. Tried allot of things and it gets worse and worse.

Current equipment:
58 RR
20G DIY sump with 2 baffles
Euroreef ES5-3
Mag 9 return pump
Blueline 40HD on a closed loop (790 GPH) ~ 600 after head loss
2 Maxijet 1200's
250W HQI PFO 13K bulb
2 95W VHO actinics
Starboard bottom (looks like a lawn)

I guess I will start with new LR.

How much should I get? From where? What type?

Anything else I should change?

Best way to do this while keeping my existing fish and corals.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Not nesc. By replacing the live rock you are not fixing the problem. More than likely you have a phosphae or nitrate problem which is usually do to to many nutrients. Do you have a phosphate test kit? If phosphates are high that is your problem. Phosphates can be caused by overfeeding/ excess nutrients in the tank. Start pulling the hair algae and then start with water changes to remove the excess nutrients. Are you using rodi water? As much info you can provide is better.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
agreed with redwinger, it's most likely phosphates (limiting ion in most algae) don't replace your LR unless you are completely sure that is the problem; which now it might be if you have been running with high nitrates/phosphates for a long time, the LR can soak these up like a sponge.

To start out get a phosphate kit, and/or nitrogen ion kits. If you already have them post your current levels. Even then all the phosphate could be bound in the algae and your kit will give you a low level.

Scrub all the hair off everthing in your tank, taking out the rock and scrubbing it in a bucket of water would be the best way. Do not do this in your tank or your levels will skyrocket, and you'll have to do a major water change.

Also, you might want to get a LMB or something to keep the algae at bay.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been through allot of things.

PO4 kits do not show any readings. All is locked up in the algae.
Nitrates the same thing.

I run Rowaphos as well through a Phosban reactor.
I also have a RO/DI/DI filter @ 0 TDS.

I have tried:
Yanking the DSB.
Replacing the skimmer.
scrubbing in a bucket
changing the bulbs
weekly water changes
large water changes
tons of snails (almost all have died)
Tried a blenny to watch that die as well.

·
166 Posts
Hooooooooooold it there cowboy.

When I first read that title I almost passed out...

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Rob Im gonna say it again start it all over new rock I hate to see you waste more time and effort when its so easy if you start it out right.Pm me if ya want help.:)

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
If you have tried all that then I would unfortunatly have to say start over would be the way to go, Casey's right fixing it would cost more money, and sanity than starting over.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
I've suggested this to you in the past but I'll suggest one more time. Take all of the fish out and go fishless for a while. Thay're just adding to the problem.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I lost all the fish today too.

Time to tear it down and I will chip the corals off of the LR and then consider redoing the tank at all.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no idea on why things died. The algae was in this tank 90% of the 2.5 years running.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So back to the main subject here now that I am tearing the tank down.

I need to know what I should do this time for the setup.

What equipment I should change if any? Add?

What LR and how much?

I am considering adding a 1 inch layer of live sand.

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is my plan to re-do my tank.

Remove all LR from tank.
Chip off the corals from the LR.
Build a temporary shelf out of eggcrate to put the corals on in the tank.
Run the tank with that water and just the heater, lights, flow and skimmer.
Order new LR from someplace.
Cure the new LR in a rubbermaid for 2 months (I guess)
Once the LR is cured remove the shelf in the tank and all the water.
Put the cured LR and water from the LR tub in the tank.
Add additional mixed salt water
Acclimate the corals to the tank

How does this sound?
What should I do different?

Is there a way to keep the smell of the curing LR down since it will be in my living room?

Will the corals in the tank without any LR be ok for 2-3 months?

Tropic Marin salt ok?

Anything else?

·
Registered
85 Posts
IMO, I would leave the original LR until the new LR is done curing, then do a large water change when you add the new LR.

But I'm new at this so I may be way off base.

BTW, what is "cooking" the Live Rock???

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Sorry to hear about the tank, but I guess after everything else, it is time.

Tagging along, I will think about this today. I like the plan of running the tank without anything but the coral specimens, If you're going to move the old LR to a spearate barrel to cook, you may just go with large percentage water changes every 3 to 7 days based on the appearance of ammonia in the system while the new LR is curing. No fish, no clean up crew, just scrape the walls and run bare bottom with ONE single 15 to 20 lb piece of LR from a known good source. This one large piece will be capable of doing all your biofiltration for a 70 gallon total vol system (sump included) after it cycles, and the frequent water changes, wet skimming, and carbon and purigen (maybe some ammocarb???) will handle issues until then with the nitrogen cycle. Once the new rock is ready, you should be able to just set up the tank aws you desire.

I heartily recommend either no fish or just what is needed to maintain algal consumption in the new system, as 55 gallons is a bit small for more than a few basic fishes.

I wish I lived closer, I'd be there with the stuff to get your system going again.

Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts