The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am not going to get into why, just would like to know the best "how".

I have a 4" dsb that I am going to replace with nothing. My plan is whenever i do a water change I will suck out some sand with it. It will be a slower process but I am willing to do it this way. I am afraid of the consequences if I did it all at once. Not mention it would be a huge mess. Will taking it out this slow cause any problems as the sand bed gets more and more shallow? Let me know what you all think...

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Doing it this way you run the risk of alot of die off in the sand bed. At the lower levels of the sand bed ar bacteria and organism that do not like light or air, so the closer they get to the top the more of they get of both.
It would more than likely be in your best interest to do it all at once. Granted it is more labor intensive all at one time, but it will be better for the tank.

If you remove the rock and and inhabitants, then pull the sand, I doubt that you will run any risk of losing anything. Given that you have a temporary location to house the rock and inhabitants. Then remove the sand and most of the water from the system.

That would be the best of doing, in my opinion atleast.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts