The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got it. My 125 is now lit with 3X250W MH.

For the last little while I have had one 250W MH on the right side of this tank, and 4X54W Tek T5's on the left, sort of a side by side comparison.

I think with 6 T5's I would have plenty of light, but to light the whole tank the right way it would take 12 bulbs, because they don't make a 6 foot T5. So I decided to go with the MH because of initial start up cost, and bulb replacement cost. I am impressed with the T5 setup, and it will replace the PC's on my 50G, but I think for a 6 foot tank they are not practical.

Right now I have 3 250W XM10K over the tank with no atinics. I don't think I will be adding atinics because I really like the 10K MH look but I will see in a few weeks.

Now I just need to replace the return pump, and I can leave this tank alone to grow out.

Whiskey

·
Registered
482 Posts
yeah i agree the shimmer effect is amazing, im not too happy w/ my 14k its a bit yellow.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Now I just need to replace the return pump, and I can leave this tank alone to grow out.

Whiskey
Sure we have heard that before:lol: ;) .

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Congrats Wiskey, the same exact setup I am using for my SPS system. I have always loved the look, and the corals are quite successful in such a setting with good current.

:D

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oops, I forgot, there are two things I need to upgrade, flow and return. The return will use the same GPH pump, just I want to switch to an external pump I already have, Iwkia 30.

Tom, Do you mind telling me what you do for flow in your tank? Right now I have about 25X Via Seio's, but I know as soon as some of my frags start to fill in this will be nowhere near enough.

Thanks,
Whiskey

Congrats Wiskey, the same exact setup I am using for my SPS system. I have always loved the look, and the corals are quite successful in such a setting with good current.

:D

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Tom, Do you mind telling me what you do for flow in your tank?
The 180 we're discussing has both of the RR holes in the overflows set with durso drains (4 total) and the returns (4 1" lines running from a 1&1/2" manifold) are plumbed through a Dolphin 3000 up and over over the back edge into several distribution lines. I have one of the Tunze Turbelle Stream 6080 pumps that washes the entire back of the live rock stack at a constant output, and 4 of the 6200's running on 4 min cycles in different directions over the surface of the rock. This tank is set up as a reeftop system for stony corals, only 2 fish (a mandarin and a cole tang) in the tank. You can see some of the plumbing in the shot below:

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice tank!

Man, I was afraid you were going to say that. I would love to start my flow upgrades with a pair of Tunze 6100, or 6200's, but we are talking a grand. That's allot of money to save up, though it is (I think) the best pump, I especially like that they run on 12V not 120V, allot less risk in case of failure.

I think I am going to try the Maxi Mods to cheaply bring my flow from ~ 3,000 GPH to around 7,000 at least Until I can afford the better pumps. At least this way the corals will have the flow they need.

Thanks for the rundown!
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
...would love to start my flow upgrades with a pair of Tunze 6100, or 6200's ... That's allot of money to save up, though it is (I think) the best pump, I especially like that they run on 12V not 120V, allot less risk in case of failure.

I think I am going to try the Maxi Mods to cheaply bring my flow from ~ 3,000 GPH to around 7,000 at least Until I can afford the better pumps.
I think the pricing on these German pumps is insane... only an idiot would spend that kind of money on aquarium pumps... :rolleyes:

Seriously, if the price were lower, I would consider doing all the tanks with these pumps, because the programmable function for the controller is an awesome feature. Next best (and much cheaper) would be to use either an Ocean's Motion pump with closed loops or the Maxijet Modified powerheads with a good controller for the heads. I PUT OFF BUYING THESE PUMPS FOR AN EXTREMELY LONG TIME (thinking the price would come down), and looking back, almost wish I had drilled the sides of the tank for closed loops instead (it definitely is cheaper to do this, but you'd better get it right the first time...) Don't get me wrong, I really like the Tunzes, and they really ARE awesome for closed systems, but I REALLY have issues with the price.

A grand for a controller, four vairable speed heads and one of the turbelles would be cheap... :eek:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
congrats! im so envious.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the pricing on these German pumps is insane... only an idiot would spend that kind of money on aquarium pumps... :rolleyes:

Seriously, if the price were lower, I would consider doing all the tanks with these pumps, because the programmable function for the controller is an awesome feature. Next best (and much cheaper) would be to use either an Ocean's Motion pump with closed loops or the Maxijet Modified powerheads with a good controller for the heads. I PUT OFF BUYING THESE PUMPS FOR AN EXTREMELY LONG TIME (thinking the price would come down), and looking back, almost wish I had drilled the sides of the tank for closed loops instead (it definitely is cheaper to do this, but you'd better get it right the first time...) Don't get me wrong, I really like the Tunzes, and they really ARE awesome for closed systems, but I REALLY have issues with the price.

A grand for a controller, four vairable speed heads and one of the turbelles would be cheap... :eek:

Ya, tell me about it. I was saying a Grand for just 2 and a controller. I can't understand the expense, and it's really hard to justify it.

I don't really like closed loops, but something like a dart on a hook with a Calafo manifold might be an option, that way you would have some flexibility over drilling holes in the tank, but still it's allot of power for the flow.

Seio now has a 2700, not bad output, not bad power use, and they run about $70, but the worry is that you are still putting 120V in the drink. Plus it's made by Tamm, and that makes me nervous.

I obviously need to put some real thought in this arena, it's the last thing I really need to buy for this tank, but I have been installing the equipment I already have first (upgrade to 50G sump, MRC-MR-2 skimmer, MH lighting, etc) now this will take some thought and research. Like I said it's still frags so I have some time.

Check your PM's, the reason I asked that is I feel you might be able to give me a real thought out answer, I have never gotten one of those to that question before. I have asked that question a number of times, of a number of people.

Thanks,
Whiskey

1 - 20 of 47 Posts