The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i figured it's been quite a while since i posted any pics or updates about my tank. so i figured i'll do that today :)

this is the 55g of course. since the 75 still isn't done. it WOULD be, if i would ever get out there and finish it!! it only needs some overflows, and needs the sump sectioned off, and a few pieces of pieces of pvc to finihs off the plumbing. i'll get to it, in the next week or so....i hope :rolleyes:

anyway here is an update on the 55, which will be moved over soon to the 75.

all water tests great.
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10
ph 8.3
salinity 1.0225
temp 80-82

skimmer is dialed in pretty good and pulling out good greenish brown, very dry foam.

pumps are all working well, but i also do a quick once over on them bi weekly, jsut to be safe. same goes for the powerheads.

sump (converted we/dry) leaves a little to be dedired, since it's jsut a little small, due ot the space allotted for the bio balls. so everything is sort of crammed in there (heaters, return pump, skimmer and pump)

the overflow has yet to fail. i've had no floods (now i will tonight) and nothing has gone wrong. with the excepton of the copper scare that was assumed killed a few things.

it's ironic that i now can not find any detectable copper in the tank. it was assumed that copper is what killed my anthelia, buttons, anemone, and snails. but it's no longer detectable. i think the copepr was detected from the sample i took to the lfs, because it was transported in a mason jar, complete with two piece copper lid :eek:

so what killed my colonies and snails? i can only assume it was my fault, and that the tank was not yet mature enough, or stabile enough, or i didn't acclimate properly, or any other host of reasons.

the only good news from the ordeal, is that i learned a lesson, and now it looks as though i dont have to toss out my live rock or my pumps and skimmer!!

my corraline is really starting to take hold in the system. my rocks are getting very good coverage now, and my spray bar is getting covered. even though its just sitting there not being used :rolleyes:

my back wall, does not get cleaned, so it has a lot of green algae on it, but there are a number of spots where the corraline is starting to take hold and cover over the green.

i've got some pretty cool algaes on the rocks, some furry green stuff, and some grass looking stuff. geoff referes to it as maidens hair. i like to call it sea grass, because it grows in little tuffts. i'm not doing anything to actively try to remove the algaes, because i like the way they look, and there are no corals anyway. i also havea few small patches of hair algae growing as well.

my one living astrea, has almsot doubled in size. my cowrie has almost doubled, my peppermint has molted 5 times, and my hermits are all doing well, and have transplanted themselves into the vacated astrea shells. and my green brittle, has grown all of his tips back (eaten by an eveil hairy red hermit) and his arms have gained about 1/2" in length, as well, his disc is about the size of a 50 cent piece (started out about the size of a quarter)

my fish are all doing well. the coral beauty, cinnamon clown, and blue devil, all still school together regularly. there are no fights, or territory disputes. no chasing. the clown is still hosting with the powerhead. the angel has a small cave he calls home at night. and the devil is still living inside the clamshell, which he has done since being in the 20g temp tank. the last of my chromis took a ride into sumpville last week, so now there are no chromis left.

lighting:
30w NO actinic blue from 8am till 10pm
30w NO 6.7k sunlight from 10am till 8pm
220w VHO actinic white from 12pm till 6pm

anyway, i think that's about it. i'll post some pics now.

first one is tank with all the lights on, and with jsut the actinic blue's on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
corraline growing on my unused spray bar

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a shot of my cowrie munching on some furry algae on the cc bed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some of my "seagrass" on a rock. this rock also has some furry algae too that you can sort of see.

and of course, my camera hog coral beauty

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a view down the length of the tank

Attachments

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and finally, a view of some of my corraline in the center of the tank. msot of this rock, had little to no corraline on it at all back in february.

Attachments

G

·
woohooo
been waiting on an update :)
jay sometime it just takes awhile for everything to come around.... i am proud of you that you sat back and took a back seat...maybe now you can add a few polyps or so or gsp and see how they do????

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah, i think that was the best thing for the tank. was just leaving it alone. i haven't added anything for quite some time.in part it was because i didnt want to add, and then move to the new system, causing unnessesary stress to the animals.

but then it kicked in, that i was doing something good for everything that was already in there. i was leaving it alone and letting it mature :) go figure lol

i forgot to mention too, that while cleaning this morning, i noticed probably 4 or 5 hundred little bugs in the overflow. little centipedes. not sure if those are copepods or amphipods. but i know its good. and if i say that many, just in the overflow box, there must be a bajillion in the cc bed and under the rocks.

i dont think i want to add any corals, or anything else to the systme, because it'll be moved over in a few weeks, and i'm thinking it might be best ot jsut hold off a bit longer, and get everything moved over and stabilized, before adding any new live stuff. plus i'm in serious need of lots more snails for the back wall algae, but again, i think i should wait.

learning patience was the hardest thing in all of this. but i've got it down to an art.. ok well, i'm not THAT patient yet, but i'm working on it :)

i'm still planning the 8' tank though :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Well geesh its about time Jay I want to see your tank flowing with life looks good:beer: :banana: :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks casey. i'm pretty happy with the progress and maturing of the tank. i cant wait to get everything moved over to the 75 :)

i was at my lfs today....they had 3 clams :D :D :D i had to tell myself.. NOT YET!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Jay I am happy to see things are moving along quite well even if slow but slow is good!;) I think we all were wondering what was happening with your tanks! Glad to see you getting excited about adding some stuff and working on your 75 gallon tank!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts