The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over 2 years ago I decided to jump into the reef keeping life. One of the best decisions I've made in a long time. I had researched it for a long time before I was completely ready to set my own tank up. Then I decided I was ready. Fast forward 2 years and here we are. I'm still like a kid in a candy store when it comes to my tank. I enjoy having people over and watching their reactions when they see my tank. And a sense of pride comes over me when I can show my success off to others and teach them about sea creatures. The most common reaction I get is "what do you mean it's all alive? How's that possible?" Watching my little girl, my nieces and nephews, wife's cousins, parents, friends all get a sense of awe about them when they gauze into my glass box of creatures from the sea. This hobby is more then keeping fish and coral alive to me. Others may think it's silly. But I don't care. I do this for me. There is nothing more relaxing to me then sitting in front of my tank for hours and finding something new. It's every day. Today I found a Spionidae worm and had no idea what it was. Just saw two fingers sticking out of the sand. In a way I wish everyone would understand and appreciate this hobby enough to do it, but as with anything, too many people will drive prices up and cause a mass extinction in the wild. Our reefs are already dying out and harvesting them is not helping. Some of you may be wondering what the point of this thread is, well, there isn't one. Just wanted to get this out to anyone wanting to read it. I certainly don't know everything about this hobby and most likely never will. None of us will. I love reading people's experiences they have and learning from them. I try to help others as they have helped me with knowledge.

Attachments

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,362 Posts
You're not alone! It's the difference between folks are in this as a 'hobby', and them that simply keep 'marine aquaria'. And there's nothing wrong with getting lost in the hobby, as long as you can still hear the Mrs. ringing the dinner bell. Very cool shot of your daughter experiencing the beauty you've captured in your own home. It's just a given around here when someone asks where's Hack.....'never mind!' In the beginning with a magnifying glass, studying each piece of new live rock, to see if 'it was'. Each new discovery would drag Jen away from whatever she was doing to come see what I just found. That's love! Jen has a cake busyness she runs from home, so we have a LOT of her clients coming and going. Our reef is right there in front of the door, so it's a darn hard to miss, and evokes some hysterical reactions when someone first views a 220 gal. piece of the wonders of the sea. There are some church folk who forget cussing is a No-No.:D Old picture, but just realized our fish share the same view. ;) Enjoy the next 2 years,
Hack

Attachments

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol hack this is random but I have the same door as you. Yeah I was going to put the tank on the wall in front of my door but decided against it. Now it is a little to the left but still captures your eye as soon as you walk in. Most people around here have never seen anything like this before so they talk to me about it for a long time. I also even catch my wife holding our little girl in front of it and checking out the new stuff she can find. I've always been into the stuff that's harder to do just to prove I could do it. I ran cross country, track, football, basketball, academics, all to do everything I could do and still maintain good grades. Went to the Air Force because it takes someone with a higher ASVAB score to get in (got an 87). Doing transmissions now because it's harder than just doing engine work. And doing saltwater because it's harder than freshwater. I've always loved a challenge. And this hobby day to day challenges me. And at the same time it teaches you patience. If there is one thing that I've gathered from this hobby it's nothing good happens in a reef tank fast. That statement alone has stood more true than any other.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
I love this hobby to.... I get laughed at about my tank, like it was up for about a year and I still found a new worm, and have a snail i haven't identified along with something in my sand that digs and crawls around. I mention this stuff at work and they always find it funny, we'll I've showed a few people from work it and one of them took some snap chat pictures (hope I got that right lol I'm young but I missed all the different types of social media by a few years) and he shared them with his friends, some of who I work with. I was pretty proud when people at work I've barely talked to came over and told me how cool the videos are, even my creepy crawly bristleworms.

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it's kind of the same here. Well at least it used to be. I was kinda skidding about telling people at work about my new found love. But now I don't care. I like it so the can either respect that or move on. I'm also not in the snap chat stuff either and I'm 25. Just never saw the point in it. Most of the guys at work haven't been over yet but some have and they find it interesting

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this morning while doing my daily morning inspection of my tank that I think we are all guilty of, I found what appears to be several baby Collinista snails. All over the place. I've never had them before so that's odd. Guessing they came on a frag. But from all the pics I've seen they look just like them so I'm not worried. Awesome they could reproduce in my tank. Also I'm starting to get some crustaceans growing on my back glass. Haven't seen them since my 20 gallon

·
Registered
578 Posts
I do the same inspection... and ussually grab a flashlight and do one or two after dark (avoiding where my fish sleep). I found a pair of colonista now every so many weeks (should count lol) I get a few dozen super tiny ones on the glass... like a quarter the size of a grain of sand... I have a bad bad habit of rambling about my tank and set up to people who don't understand or more often don't care... probably annoying to them... but marine science has alway been a passion for me and I have a hard time not doing it...

·
Sponge
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I know what you mean. I talk to my wife about it and I can almost instantly see a glaze on her eyes lol. She just likes to look at it. Doesn't want to deal with it. But I'm with you. It's a passion. Ever since I dove in the reef at key west I've been crazy about it. But loved it since watching finding nemo as a kid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts