The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just got my first clam today... since I don't have Halides (yet) I got a squamosa. This was only part of the order I got from liveaquaria... everything arrived in great shape, except the bullseye mushrooms were a little bit stressed and were expelling their guts. I'm keeping an eye on them and hopefully they'll pull through fine.
Anyway, here's the pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Glad your clam came through ok! Pretty cool aren't they? I just love my three! Might get one more that is blue in color!:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once we get a 250w halide we plan on getting a couple more clams ourselves... we just had the clam 'jones' so bad we had to get at least one for now. :D
The high-color maxima's are our favorites... but the squamosa is still awesome in it's own right... the blue and gold irridescence throughout the mantle is really nice.
It still hasn't opened up fully, but I guess that's to be expected after it spent 24 hours in the dark, getting shipped across the state.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a quick question...
The clam has expelled a mass of hairy fibers, and I was just wondering what it is... is it clam poo?
I just want to make sure it's healthy... at first I thought it might be it's foot, but when it separated from the clam it caught me by surprise. I've attached a picture of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Since I have one of those clams I would be interested in what it is!!:)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks casey! :)
gosh Johnny... I was hoping you would know what it was. :)
Ah well... the clam seems to be doing fine, aside from the fact that he's not fully opened yet, but that could be due to the current in my tank or the fact that my copperband butterfly keeps swimming by over the top of it and it retracts whenever its shadow hits it.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So... anybody have a clue what it might be?
It looks really weird... the center of the mass is a hard piece of whiteish flesh with a lot of filamentous fibers coming out of it...
I thought it had totally separated from the clam, but a few fibers are still attached... are these possibly the byssal threads that I keep hearing about that they use to attach to rocks, etc.?
It seems to be doing alright, but I'd feel a lot better if I knew it wasn't going to keel over soon. :)
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I read this some where but don't remember!:)
... clams commonly abort old byssal tissue. It is generate new at the new point of attachment. Freshly imported/disturbed clams will often do this. Probably just fine.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Johnny! You da' man! :D
Twas funny... it just slammed shut and flung a scarlet hermit about 6 inches across the tank into the glass... I guess they'll learn not to crawl on it sooner or later. :D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Yeah my clams do that from time to time that is why it is not a good idea to put them to close to the surface of the water or a geyser will be the results!!;)

My squasoma clam opens up more the closer to the MH lights but have read that this can also cause them to bleach so mine is on the sand bed and looks just fine!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts