The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So earlier this week I noticed my lawnmower blenny scratching against the rocks. Looking him over I could see nothing on his body and his gills looked good. A couple days later notice my two clowns have marine velvet.

Spent the morning setting up the hospital tank (10 minutes ) and catching 3 fish out of my 75 gallon display tank (3 hours). The reason it took 3 hours is because at that point I gave up chasing and pulled every-single-rock (100 pounds) out of my tank.

I figured this was a great time to get rid of the sand and plenum I had originally started with, and go comando- erm, I mean bare bottom. As this was going to take a while to remove all 100 pounds of sand, I stopped to fill my live rock buckets with water and drop in powerheads in case I got pulled away later. Getting rid of the sand also got rid of a lot of water. I was going to have to make a run to the local big box store to get some salt.

Next was setting up the 20 long tank as a temp tank for the 3 nems and various coral frags. Powerhead and heater later and I was on my way to go grab some salt to add.

So, I get in my car, drive happily clear across town. Barely avoiding the regular Sunday drivers and narrowly avoid being creamed by someone obviously lost and from out of town. Once I make it to the store, I grab my salt, an extra heater that was on clearance and go to check out. All was good and fine until I went to pay and realized I had left my bank card at home.

Another death defying trip through Easter crowds was made.

And all I had planned to do was go out back and clean the koi pond today. Guess that waits until next weekend.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, everyone is settled for the night. My living room- well it may never be the same again. There are 5 gal buckets lined up in front of the fireplace full of live rock and water, then there is a large tote on one side of the aquarium full also. No one should walk through here tonight with the lights out. Not sure the hum of all the powerheads would help steer clear.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,522 Posts
Hi LL.....that will teach you to try and do the right thing! Those 'right-things' will get you every time.:thumbup:Glade your safe.
Hack

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm regretting it this morning. Tossed whole bag of salt in tank since it is now empty. Starting dumping water in last night and decided to shut it down and go to bed. So this morning woke up to very cold cloudy, as in can't see through it, water. Dumped in pumps and heater so now I'm going to hurry up and wait for this to clear up so everything can go back in. In the future the fish may just be sacrificed.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: So the tank is now sparkling clear, clean and bare bottomed. The Nems and all frags are happily back in the display tank looking good. I wasn't sure I would like the bare bottom look, so used to having sand. But the aquarium seems brighter, and I like it just fine. Not to mention it is going to be so much easier and less time consuming cleaning out on the weekends.

The fish will not be going back into the tank for about a month, maybe two. But, I kinda like having them in the kitchen for the moment. Might set up the 20 long on the kitchen counter....

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are the pictures? I'm sure I'm not the only one that wants to see them.
Vin, Will get some up this evening when I get home. With all the moving around funny, I didn't think to take any. Then again, I was a bit preoccupied with mopping. Am I the ONLY person who can not move a 5 gallon bucket of water without spilling a trail behind me??!!

Lmao. Start off doing one thing now your planning another tank ;) don'tcha love how that works
Shame is, I have a 40 gallon freshwater Cichlid tank, and a planted betta tank in my office. The 75 gal reef in the living room, the 100 gal koi pond on the back porch, the 10 gal hospital tank in the kitchen... and now contemplating the 20 long. I think I need a bigger house :agree:

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't get home until after the MHs cut off, so here is a pic with just actinics. It looks so bare. But there are 3 anemones, two montiporas, a couple of zoa frags, a gsp frag, and a couple of birdsnest frags. The sand that is on the bottom came from the rocks, but I'll get that out this weekend. So, here is the new starting spot.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Any repercussions apparent caused by your immediate removal of the sand bed? Have you tested the water after or seen a spike in algae?

I was convinced to slowly go BB, by taking out 1/5 of the sand during every water change.

Beautiful- give us some MH shots!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Repercussions.. Hmmmm. Well, my floor was obsessively mopped for 2 days....

Seriously, it was an all or nothing type of thing. I had to pull out all the sand to get the plenum out I had under said sand. Since the rock was out already, thanks to fish chasing, it was just one more step to go.

Removing all that sand removed a lot of water. 50 gallons of fresh saltwater were added, 25 of the original water was kept. Aside from Salinity and temp I have not tested the water yet, will do so this weekend.

As for algae, I am not concerned about it at the moment. But will update as it goes along.

·
Banned
945 Posts
Repercussions.. Hmmmm. Well, my floor was obsessively mopped for 2 days....
I know the feeling- at one point my overflow box failed after I hit it during a water change.

An hour later (After screaming from the tank and a gazillion apex alarms on my phone) I ran back to see my return pump had pumped the entire contents of the sump into the display. About 12 gallons too much, it would seem.

AHH! ON MY NICE WOOD FLOORS!

Since then I have set more failsafes on the apex; don't just warn me, shut off the darn sump pump if display is too high!

Seriously, it was an all or nothing type of thing. I had to pull out all the sand to get the plenum out I had under said sand. Since the rock was out already, thanks to fish chasing, it was just one more step to go.
Pretty interesting compared to the rest I've heard. Ill stick with my slow method, but I am interested to see the results of the "One and Done" method :)

As for algae, I am not concerned about it at the moment.
HA! Im never "Not concerned" for algae. Even now, in the car, I see a bit of hair algae that is making me bat crazy (If you can't tell).

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HA! Im never "Not concerned" for algae. Even now, in the car, I see a bit of hair algae that is making me bat crazy (If you can't tell).
I too, have pretty wood floors. Just so you know, my tank has been running for almost 2 years. Hair algae, my buddy, my friend...

A few months ago, I used conditioned tap water instead of RODI. I don't remember exactly why, but it had something to do with time and not having any to wait 2 days for my RODI to make enough.

I literally had an explosion of hair algae. Matter of fact, it covered the entire back glass of my tank. In a way it was kind of pretty waving in the currents.

It took 3 months but I won that battle with help from a Kole tang, a lawn mower blenny, a refugium, and enough macro algae to make my display tank a " planted" tank as well as many RODI water changes. I"m sure the turbo snails ate a bit here and there but I hate giving them any credit that is not related to demolition work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts