The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys for the last month I have been wrestling with my protein skimmer and getting it to function correctly. For exactly 1 day I got it to work perfectly where it developed a nasty brown sludge before something happened and clear water flowed into it. I think I have come close, I do have a foam slowly flowing into the cup but I was curious if anyone can tell if this looks correct.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
It's hard to see the very top, but I say it looks good....bubbles in collection cup look good.

Directions in the 2 skimmers that I've had indicate to set level of bubbles about half into into the neck of cup. My Vertex is set a bit higher and when it is working well, I see the off color [sometimes greenish] near the top of the cup and sometime the foamy sludge spills over like you pic indicates. More often, I see just the dark liquidy effluent in the bottom of cc.

Also I get a buildup of sludge in the cc itself, which I remove and rinse every couple weeks.

I understand the the clear water/bubbles you mention. That happens sometimes; after water changes, or having put my hands and arms into the tank. These slimmers are pretty sensitive machines.

How do you protect yourself from overflow in the cc? Is there a drain?

HTH

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
Skimmer waste can either be "wet" where the waste in the cup is a brownish liquid from the foam. You can also run it "dry" where the waste that collects in the cup is a moist yet solid waste.

I prefer to run mine "wet" and get a full cup of waste once a week.

Running the skimmer either wet or dry or somewhere in between is your personal preference. The key is to consistently get the same amount of waste each week.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have overflow protection, its only done that once and i just cleaned it up, what do you recommend? How do you make it run wet or dry? What is really annoying me is the fine bubbles it is releasing into the tank on a constant basis, makes viewing the tank impossible, tried everything, it just won't stop.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
how old is the skimmer? Do you have it set at the right water level? Pretty common for bubbles to shoot into the tank when the skimmer is first being broken in, or when something changes, such as something new introduced to the tank, or a major water change. You can lower the bubble level in the skimmer to help control the microbubbles and/or adjust the water level in the sump. Mine runs about 7" perfectly. anything over 9" leads to microbubbles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The skimmer is about a month and a half old. I am embarrassed to admit this but for the first month it was running I just had the air valve fully closed so it wasn't doing anything. I did not realize you had to adjust it to get it to work. So really it has only been "running" for maybe 2 weeks. I have tried to adjust the valve to stop the micro bubbles but nothing I do stops them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts