The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffcc><TD align=left colSpan=7>I am trying to buy more tank cleaners for my aquarium. To get free shipping I have to order $60 worth but is this too many clean up creatures for a 50 gallon aquarium?

Fish/Corals/Invertebrates/Tank Cleaners/Algae
</TD></TR><TR><TH class=v12 align=left>Item # </TH><TH class=v12 align=left width=200>Description </TH><TH class=v12 align=right>Price </TH><TH width=5>
</TH><TH class=v12 align=middle>Qty </TH><TH class=v12 width=5> </TH><TH class=v12 align=right>Extended </TH></TR><TR bgColor=#f5f5f5><TD vAlign=top noWrap>DG-89179
</TD><TD vAlign=top>SW - Sally Lightfoot Crab (BYO) </SPAN>
</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>$6.00
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle width=5>x
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>1
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>=
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>$6.00
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD vAlign=top noWrap>DG-89184
</TD><TD vAlign=top>SW - Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab (BYO) </SPAN>
</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>$2.50
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>10
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>$25.00
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f5f5f5><TD vAlign=top noWrap>DG-89192
</TD><TD vAlign=top>SW - Astraea Turbo Snail (BYO) - Large </SPAN>
</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>$0.90
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>15
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>$13.50
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD vAlign=top noWrap>DG-89178
</TD><TD vAlign=top>SW - Emerald Crab (BYO) </SPAN>
</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>$2.75
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>$2.75
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f5f5f5><TD vAlign=top noWrap>DG-89176
</TD><TD vAlign=top>SW - Queen Conch - Aquacultured (BYO) </SPAN>
</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>$5.00
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>$5.00
</TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD vAlign=top noWrap>DG-89197
</TD><TD vAlign=top>SW - Nassarius Snail (BYO) </SPAN>
</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>$0.90
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>10
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>$9.00
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I dont think its too much. I dont like crab and will never buy any more but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I love crabs. But I thikn thats good. It could use more I think. Definitely not too much of a clean up crew. Id think less snails and more crabs would be good.

·
11,345 Posts
Id definitely rethink the 10 scarlet hermits.

They are seriously jerks. replace them with $25 worth of little blue and red legged crabs if you must have crabs.

OR, lose the crabs altogether and up your astreas to 30 and get 15 cerith snails and call it good.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have about 20 scarlets in my 20g, and theyre great (along with about 60 other tiny tiny blue/red/zebra legs):banana:

People give crabs a bad name for some reason. Ive never had one mess up any of my coral. The worst anyone did/does is the same one with tthe purple shell sits on top off my leather, and kicks back all day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would ditch the scarlets too. Red leds and dwarf zebras are good. IMO Definately not to much, I would get a few more snails also.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 40g has about a dozen nass snails, a dozen cerith snails, and probably two dozen astreas. All of my hermits (from past tank) have been exiled to my sump, where they shall remain forever, for killing snails to take their shells. Trust me, it happens, and you WILL start to notice your hermits in brand new snail shells...

IMO, skip the hermits/crabs all together!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 40g has about a dozen nass snails, a dozen cerith snails, and probably two dozen astreas. All of my hermits (from past tank) have been exiled to my sump, where they shall remain forever, for killing snails to take their shells. Trust me, it happens, and you WILL start to notice your hermits in brand new snail shells...

IMO, skip the hermits/crabs all together!

I have a sand substrate. Will the snails do enough to sift the sand?

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
not enough, IMO

and I hate the scarlet reef, they just eat snails

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I think it depends on the crabs you get really. Maybe Ive been lucky, but Ive never had a problem with crabs eating snails. I even have one of t hose huge non reef safe hermits on my tank, and he doesnt bother anything. He just picks off all algae possible

·
Registered
454 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I will never buy a scarlet reef crab again.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
so what do all you crab dilslikers use to properly work over your sand? I don't have (or want) any crabs, but if it wasn't for my eel striring things up I imagine I would get a lot more surface algae.

·
11,345 Posts
so what do all you crab dilslikers use to properly work over your sand? I don't have (or want) any crabs, but if it wasn't for my eel striring things up I imagine I would get a lot more surface algae.

Good flow throughout the tank, good skimming and feeding only what gets eaten.

I really dont have anything critterwise that works over my sand. I can also easily see 100% of my sandbed, so i know its working.

I DO physically have to siphon under and behind my spraybars once a week.......thats the only spot that crap collects

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
more snails

I do get the small blue leg hermits (about 1cm long)
they are too small to take over any snails

1 - 20 of 21 Posts