The Reef Tank banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i want to put my tank in this room but im afraid there will be too much natural light. will it encourage nuisance algae. the room is getting a remodel right now but there is windows along almost two entire walls. im thinking it would go where the tv is.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
From the looks of it, you should be fine. Light only plays one part of nuisance algae growing, the other part is it has to feed on something in order to grow (AKA nutrients)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no just taking down the stylish paneling, lol. the windows are gonna be replaced as they are jalocy windows now. i will however probably tint them a bit help with heat and to make the room a little less hard on the eyes. i hope it works out. the tank will probably be in another room and ill move it there later.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my living room has 6' french doors, another 5' x 6' picture window, 2 skylights, & the front door which is about 20' from tank is all glass with a side window. I've not had any problems with algae. Well, at least not due to the light...just if I slack off on maintenance.
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55900&d=1183402341

I think you'll be fine
well thats good to know! then i have nothing to worry about seems.

have you had any problems keeping a tan?:lol:

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
your tank will tell you if it is too much;)

You may have to adjust your lighting schedule at times since parts of the tank get direct sunlight for a few hours a day.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I'm not trying to be cynical as some may be alluding to. If it is too much light you may have troubles with algae in certain areas or your corals may close up or have coloring issues. You will know lighting may be something to look at when the tank just doesn't seem right;)

This time of year I get direct sunlight on a bit of my tank and I reduce my MH from about 6 to 4 hours a day but leave the supplementation lighting normal. if I don't my corals close up early and the colors seem off. Through the years I' ve learned it is related to the light.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm not trying to be cynical as some may be alluding to. If it is too much light you may have troubles with algae in certain areas or your corals may close up or have coloring issues. You will know lighting may be something to look at when the tank just doesn't seem right;)

This time of year I get direct sunlight on a bit of my tank and I reduce my MH from about 6 to 4 hours a day but leave the supplementation lighting normal. if I don't my corals close up early and the colors seem off. Through the years I' ve learned it is related to the light.
I was making a joke, I do that a lot. Please don't take it personally.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I just want to be sure that everyone on this thread is clear, I was making no direct jab at Hop. Hop is a good guy. My comment was simply a joke about a talking tank, nothing more.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
My tank said something last night. It really creeped me out.
I was telling mscottring that I just couldn't get a decent comeback to this line.... He said "every time I look in my tank it says, "that'll be $20":lol:

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I couldn't steal it so i had to give credit where it was due:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts