The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made a very small refugium to fit in my 20g sump and was hoping for some input on it.

My setup is a 4 month old 55g display with a 2 1/2" - 3" live sandbed, 75lbs live rock, one purple firefish, pulsing xenia frag and gsp colony. The sump is a simple setup: dual overflow to sump / skimmer area - bubble trap - retun section with mag 9.5. The main section of the sump is fairly small but I have room to fit a small refugium in the sump.

Basically my plan is just a 12" Long X 10 1/2" High X 4" Deep box with a couple holes drilled on each side for water flow. This will simply be placed inside the sump along the back wall held on with suction cups. I know this is small but I figured it couldn't hurt to have at least a little algae in there. My concerns are:
1. The water level in my sump is only 8 1/2 inches deep when running regularly.
2. If I add a dsb there won't be much room for macro algae
3. Will the flow be okay or possibly too fast
4. Does having it in the same section of my skimmer render it useless?

I know it would be better to have a separate section but due to space I simply cannot do it. I really don't want to add the HOB type either so I thought this would be a decent alternative. Thanks for any input:help:

·
spaceman spiff
15,672 Posts
How are you going to light the section?

Honestly I think it may be more trouble than it's worth, and with that small of a foot print the DSB won't really have any function. If you wanted to do something, just adding some chaeto to the skimmer section and forgoing the box would probably work just as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.