The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me start by saying im not a fan of the pet chains. I don't really "like" the idea of giving them business, however, at the same time I have to do what is right for me, and my tank.

I cruised by the petsmart website tonight, and saw they had 200g buckets of IO for 32 bucks, plus 6.99 shipping. For a grand total of 39 dollars shipped.

By comparison I was in Columbia MO today, and stopped at an LFS and they wanted 78 dollars......Heck they wanted 14 for a cheap seatest hydrometer.

I was pretty dissappointed in the LFS, seems to have gone down hill (if that was possible). But even more so, it now looks like a hour and a half drive to St. Louis if I wanna buy anything offline. So, how does that salt cost sound? I would sure have less buyers anxiety if I bought it for 40 instead of 78.

Dave

BTW, this place was also selling Maxi-Jet 1200's for 43 dollars, and a mag 3 for 79. I understand these places are bussinesses and have to make money, I just don't see how they can do it, other than selling to unsuspecting customers that don't know or don't care about mail order.

·
double cappuccino
1,633 Posts
200g is the same as 50g bag x 4 which I get at the LFS for 9.99 each x 4 = $40. Which is the same as what you'll be paying when you include shipping. It's a pity you don't have a better LFS, but when their business starts to dry up because of guys like you they will either get the message or struggle on.

I say order it, it is a very good price. The only way I ever pay steep prices at an LFS is if I really like the owner and can see he cares about his store and livestock, the kind that helps even when there is no sale involved.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I say order it, it is a very good price. The only way I ever pay steep prices at an LFS is if I really like the owner and can see he cares about his store and livestock, the kind that helps even when there is no sale involved.
Well if that is the standard by which I will set my level of guilt, then I will have no trouble sleeping tonight, as this place was in pretty bad shape. The fish all looked good, but the corals had all seen better days. There was a 75 price tag on an SPS that I couldn't tell you what type it was, much less the color, as it was completely covered in algae. In fact, almost every single coral was overgrown with hair.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts