The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This algae has gone bonkers since I added the new lights- went from about 1 watt per gallon to 4.33 watts per gallon-

What kind of algae is this and what will eat it?

Thanks!!

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Hm... does it feel soft or more like celery strings? And maybe another pic would be good.

Danielle

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
looks more like Maiden Hair or that stuff they call Brillo Pad Algae...it dosen't look like the green cottony crap i have in my tank... :D

mine is a dull gaggy green, that stuff looks brighter and almost rubbery...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aHA! I need a tang- THAT'S the secret- I didn't have this til I put a TINY piece of LR (maybe 1oz in weight) in that had maiden hair (idented by the LFS) on it- It didn't spread until I hit it with the lights- now it's everywhere- lol

Pretty but a bit too much

Perhaps a trip to the LFS is in order :)

WHOOHOO! lol

Jennai

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
nope,. not hair algae,,,,

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
yup, a tang,,,or fox face,,,,:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweet! K- so I have PERMISSION to get a REAL fish now? lol

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol- I have a 30 gallon, all parameters are 0 cept trates are at 10- Getting that down with water changes- I'm thinking of getting some shaving brush plants too-

Fish are a false perc, scooter blenny on loan to clean up some pods cause they have taken over (he is SO fat- I didn't know fish could GET fat) 2 scarlet cleaners, 1 camel back, 1 seaslug that I THINK is really a sea cucumber, 1 brittle star, 2 scarlet leg crabs, 1 blue leg crab, 1 decorator crab, 2 snails (no idea what "brand") and the stupid damsel and a royal gramma. I also have unidentified polyps and green star polyps as well as a single mushroom.

Running a big skimmer that works GREAT, a biowheel filter and a skilter with the skimmer part turned off. I have 20lbs or so of LR (adding a little at time) and 20 lbs of LS and 20 lbs of Dolomite. That's it :)

MAINLY I want polyps and zoes- stuff like that- lights are bilinear Coralife Aqualights at 130 watts- 2 blue strips and 2 white- with fans and seperate switches- (green star polyps are going NUTS- they LOVE the new lights)

I think thats about all - Lights are on full boar about 10 hours a day with an additional 2 hours for dawn and dusk.

I feed a combination or phytoplankton, marine pellets, marine plank, fros. brine, froz squid and froze meinsa (?) shrimp. Not all at once! lol

so, can I get a tang? lol if not- what can I get that will eat up some or most of this algae?

Thanks!

Jennai

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
30g isn't big enough for a tang, even a small sailfin would not be comfy in there.
IF you knew someone close that had one and would loan it for a couple weeks and it can be transferred fairly stress free, that might work, but long term you need more space :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts