The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found him sitting in a acro I got yesterday from a fellow reefer. Can't find an ID online. He's white colored, a little blue on the claw and red on the tip.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Can't tell 100% from the pic, but I am guessing that it is.

·
11,345 Posts
cant even tell from the pic.

If he is smooth shelled and hangin out on the acro I would keep him and just watch the coral. He wont go anywhere so if you start to see any damage remove him.

dIve had quite a few different kinds of acrocrabs.....all of them hae been smooth shelled but differenet colors. I never have seen one quite that color though. Hopefully yuo wil get to keepo him. :)

·
11,345 Posts
yeah...acro crabs are the only crabs I keep.......or used to keep anyway.......killed them all this summer and unfortunately its tough to get them if you dont buy wild colonies. Ive seatrched and searched for a place(or person) to buy them but havent had any luck

they clean detritus off of the corals and protect it from things that want to bother it. there is a video floating around on one of these forums where a acro crab is trying to fend off a crown of thorns

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, looks like I'll keep it around. Guess I lucked out with my first real acro. I didn't know there were hosting crabs until last night :).

·
spsaddict
941 Posts
make sure it doesnet have hairy legs i had a gorilla crab in an acro once.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can tell if its an acro crap cause it looks like they have a mask across their eyes
Yeah, it kind of does. I never would have thought years ago I'd be happy that I've got crabs :).

While you're here, can you tell me what my wife bought me for my birthday from you? :blob:

·
11,345 Posts
Fly, when you recieve a new acro, how do you handle that? Do you dip it? How do you save the acro crabs if you do?
they needs taken out and QT'd. for a couple of weeks along with an acropora

you can tell if its an acro crap cause it looks like they have a mask across their eyes
The mask is just found on the most common variety ......just becasue one doesnt have the mask doenst mean its bad by any means

1 - 13 of 13 Posts