The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forum and also reef tanks so thanks for the help in advance. I have installed a new 125 GAL tank with fuge in my basement, tank has been running for 2 months now with 100#s of live rock from Bali and Figi. Water chemistry is great - 0 AM, 0 nitrates/trites, 8.2 PH and 1.025 SG.

I added a Clown pair and Blue Tang last weekend to only find the Tang being eaten by a large crab - 5" diameter in the morning. I was able to get the crab out and sent him back to my LFS. I then found a much smaller crab about the size of a half-dollar. I have included a picture of him and just want to know if he is reef safe? Black tip claws??

I already got him out and put him in my fuge.

Attachments

·
Jabberwocky
3,182 Posts
I'm guessing no, as I'm roughly familiar with most of the common crabs sold, and that isn't one of them. I hear a lot of people say "if it has hairy legs, stay away," with the exception being the emerald crab. Even then it's hit or miss.

Remember that ALL crabs are opportunistic and have the potential to eat something you prize. ALL of them. Even hermits.

I don't keep any of the evil little buggers. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help!

I already stuck him in my fuge anyway so there he will stay for now.

I also hear a snap-snap so I assume I also got a hitch hiker manta shrimp too but can't find him anywhere yet???

Maybe he will be OK???

Thanks!

·
Administrator
47,017 Posts
Roger on the crabs are opportunistic gluttons, I will not have one in my tank ever again.

The snap snap might be a hitcher pistol Shrimp rather than a mantis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts