The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
Joined
·
699 Posts
odyssea sucks in terms of quality and reliability. I would stick with the seaclone. or you could set up both and see which one pulls out more crap. Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,758 Posts
Get a Bak pak. Its just like that except is alot more quality120$ on drs for one up to 60 gallons. This guy Bitt off the bak pak. its a complete copy of the duel bak pak but in low quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
or go for the Coralife Super Skimmers, still have my 65 and its awsome, first had it hang on back with my 20H then went to 30 cube with sump. Really good money spent. Is your application going to be HOB?
 

·
Just some guy, you know?
Joined
·
22,652 Posts
Out of the suggestions listed so far this one is the best.
or go for the Coralife Super Skimmers, still have my 65 and its awsome, first had it hand on back with my 20H then went to 30 cube with sump. Really good money spent. Is your application going to be HOB?
Whiskey
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
 

·
Jr. Reef Tank Engineer
Joined
·
1,081 Posts
The skimmer in the picture looks like a Back-Pak knock-off. Though the Bak-Pak is a decent skimmer, a 46 gal is on the upper end of the range of tank size that a "real" Bak-Pak can handle.

I'd suggest the Coralife Skimmer as well...I've heard alot of positive things about them. Don't be afraid to spend a little more on a critical piece of reefing equipment such as a skimmer. IME, you will either spend a little more upfront, spend even more buying skimmers until you get one that is decent, or quit in frustration.

HTH,
Michael

stang5_o2002 said:
.....on a 46 gal tank? I can get one for free. I was just gonna put the better one on the tank until i can afford to buy a better one.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=109

Thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
Let's see...if you can get it for FREE, I don't see the harm in using it and running BOTH! If it's a piece of junk, then, no big deal, you didn't lose any money. I have the super skimmer myself and have to say that it is well worth the money. It's the best value for a small tank IMO. You can get the 65 gal one for under $100. The only other skimmer that comes close to that performance for that price is the remora (another excellent skimmer from what people say). If space is scarce in your sump, go with the super skimmer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hng said:
Let's see...if you can get it for FREE, I don't see the harm in using it and running BOTH! If it's a piece of junk, then, no big deal, you didn't lose any money. I have the super skimmer myself and have to say that it is well worth the money. It's the best value for a small tank IMO. You can get the 65 gal one for under $100. The only other skimmer that comes close to that performance for that price is the remora (another excellent skimmer from what people say). If space is scarce in your sump, go with the super skimmer.
Yes its free. My plan was if the free one was better, i would use it on the 46, and transfer the seaclone to my 16gal which has no skimmer at all right now. I'm going to get a Coralife Super Skimmer, but not for at least a month because im going to the beach for a week and money is tight till after vactation. I've just been doing big weekly water changes as well as running the seaclone on the 46, and big weekly wc with no skimmer on the 16.

Funny thing is, i still have my 5.5 setup just for small frags and stuff. The water hasnt been changed in it for a long time. Its got the best water quality of all three tanks. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,051 Posts
stang5_o2002 said:
Yes its free. My plan was if the free one was better, i would use it on the 46, and transfer the seaclone to my 16gal which has no skimmer at all right now. I'm going to get a Coralife Super Skimmer, but not for at least a month because im going to the beach for a week and money is tight till after vactation. I've just been doing big weekly water changes as well as running the seaclone on the 46, and big weekly wc with no skimmer on the 16.
Hmmm...I misunderstood your question. I thought you just wanted it for one tank, didn't realize you had another tank to deal with. I don't think that that skimmer will likely be any better than what you currently have. SO the previous advise about the super skimmer is still the best one you've received I think. Still, if it's free, than what harm can it do. Go ahead and get it and see how well it works. If it can't produce nice dark skimate, then you better get that super skimmer sooner rather than later. If it works well, then you've got a good temp until your super skimmer arrives :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
is_that_a_fish said:
odyssea sucks in terms of quality and reliability. I would stick with the seaclone. or you could set up both and see which one pulls out more crap. Just my 2 cents.
Wow! The odyssea must really be junk if it's worse than a seaclone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
When I first read the title I thought, yea, anything is better than the Seaclone but then I saw what you were compering it with, and I have to say you probably will not be improving a hole lot, and may be worse that before.

I would really wait till you got the money to get a real Bak-pak or another reputable skimmer. Don't waste your money on this cheap thing.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top