The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for Seachem Focus and Seachem Aquazole to try and battle ich. Does anyone know where this can be purchased locally or have extra to sell? I'll be going out of town soon and need to prepare some frozen food with these additives to help out while I am gone. Geez what timing!

:help1:

Thanks!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No responses so I take it no one has it locally. I'll have to order from online store over night for two $5 bottles. Yikes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, reef. Unfortunately, that’s the approach I have to take right now, IMO.

I’m heading out of town soon and will be gone for a week. I completely understand the necessity to remove all fish from the main tank for a minimum of 4 weeks after last sign on ich is gone on all fish in QT. But I don’t have that option right now before going out of town and am not really sure if I have that option at all since I have too much LR and SPS. I understand the consequences of not removing all fish to QT.

What I am hoping to do is curb the ich enough until I get back and have more time to monitor and address the problem. My thoughts were to put additives in the food that may help keep the problem minimal and possibly treat the tank with a product that is known to be reef safe and not harm corals.

I was able to locate metronidazole this afternoon and will add it to their food as well. Right now I am adding fresh minced garlic, beta glucan and selcon to the mix. I’ll be adding the metro into the mix now that I have some.

While I am gone I am having someone feed the pre-made food for me. I’ve also picked up some kick-ich, knowing it may not work, but hoping that it may curb the problem until I get back. I added the first dose last night, but will need to pick up another bottle to have enough to complete the regimen since it’s a 180gal.

I’m trying to be careful since I have lots of SPS and some nice clams, etc. It going to be hard not being able to see if there is any progress while gone for the week -or if things go south in the tank.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The two times I've had ICH in my reef, and once in my FO (don't you know I'm setting up a QT for my new tank!) I've treated it with Marc Weiss's BacterVital. Although I'm not a fan of any of his other products, this has worked for me 3 times, so I don't consider it a coincdence. It is a week long treatment (treat every other day), but it is safe for the reef tank.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I am with Mike, I think it is the best option you have. I tried kick-ich 3 or 4 years ago and almost every SPS I had died. Maybe a few cleaner fish and shrimp to help hold you over. Boy that is tuff to deal with when you are out of town.

·
Professional Acro killer!
1,131 Posts
Well I guess I will post our story. I will start off with we tried kick ich, it got rid of the ich with each dose and then it would come back, just like ichs life cycle. I am going to copy and paste some of the things I posted on RC. BTW kick ich didn't hurt any inverts or corals in our tank.

·
1,131 Posts
I have read so many times that hypo doesn't work, that copper doesn't work, that garlic doesn't work. I have read about people quarantining fish for 6-8 weeks, they put them in their tank and they still got ich. I have read about people getting ich, taking all their fish out, treating them for 2 months, putting them back in and 2 days later they got ich again. It really seems like there is nothing that beats it and no one actually knows anything about it.

BTW, I had fish in my tank for around a month now with no ich. I bought a powder blue at the local fish store that had been in copper for 3 weeks with no signs of ich. I brought the fish home and he eats like a pig and he has been in the tank for a week. 2 days ago we noticed ich on him and some on our foxface. I have treated the tank for kick ich for 1 day now and there is no ich on the foxface and only a few spots on the powder blue. I did not do a quarantine on the powder blue because he had been quarantined in the LFS for 3 weeks in copper. I have been soaking all the food in garlic and I have been heavily feeding to keep all the fish strong and they are all still eating very good. Anyone have any other ideas that they know will work 100% no matter what?
ScubaTC posted this on RC in response to my thread on Kick Ich since I hadn't replied in awhile

nikonosis, can you update us on the ich problem?

Did Kick-Ich help? Did the Kick-Ich treatment have any other affects on your tank/corals?

Thanks!
This is what I replied with.
It definitely didn't have any affect on the corals and every time I would dose it, the ich would go away but it would come back the next day. I used the entire bottle and still have a dang ich problem. I tried catching the fish in our tank to quarantine them but the only fish I can catch are the clowns and the yellow tang. Our royal gramma, powder blue, foxface, and lawnmower blenny are impossible to catch without taking the tank apart. All the fish have been fed with garlic soaked food non stopped and they are all eating like crazy, they are all fat, and they they don't act like they have ich at all.

These are the toughest fish I have ever seen. We have had ich for a little over 3 weeks now and still haven't lost a single fish. I spent 2 hours trying to catch that **** powder blue. He was quarantined in copper for 3 weeks before going into the display and causing our ich problem. I hate that fish!

I almost wish all the fish would just die so we could start all over but NONE OF THEM WILL DIE.

The biggest thing I hate about kick ich is having to leave the skimmer off for around a week. In the time it was left off our nitrates got up to 20ppm and now I am fighting with cyano and diatoms while trying to lower the nitrates. I have had to 2 water changes in the past week because of it.
Here is another reply from me.

I rather my $350+ in fish die before I even think of taking my tank apart to catch them. My powder blue seems happier with ich than when he didn't have it!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ScubTC is going away for a week and has ich. What can he do to buy a weeks worth of time? That is the question. My thoughts on a short notice are healthy fish and cleaners.

·
1,131 Posts
We have 2 cleaner shrimp in our tank and they don't seem to do much... I would suggest to feed them daily or 2 times a day if he can. Me personally, I am really starting to hate tangs!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
My experience FWIW ....

Just after we transferred the contents of the 55g into the 3rd 75g tank, we had an outbreak of Ich. As you can see in these lousy pics, the Yellow Tang was covered. It also affected my 2 largest PJ Cardinalfish. The 1 PJ even had it all over it's eyes.

We treated the tank with Kent RX-P (parasite treatment) for about 2 weeks. All three fish recovered and are healthy and eating like pigs again. The treatment had no ill effect on any of the LPS, Softies, the emerald crab, snails, hermits or serpent star. It's only been about a month since the completion of the treatment, so we'll have to see if it returns in the next little while or not.

·
1,131 Posts
This is what I read on RX P

Reefs:
Product can be used with most invertebrates by experienced persons, with caution. Since marine parasites are invertebrates, treating them with this product will stress other invertebrates. Use with invertebrates carries a certain amount of risk, however, we at Kent Marine use it with invertebrates on a regular basis because we know what to look for and we can react if a problem develops. If you have expensive hard corals and particularly mushroom anemones, you may want to remove them prior to use to be absolutely safe.
We find that most soft corals, gorgonians, and star polyps have very little reaction to the product and generally don’t know it is in the water (you should still observe them closely, though). Hard corals react more and mushroom anemones can do well or get hurt fast unless you watch them very closely. Do not ever use with starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers, sea apples, medusa worms, nudibranchs or similar animals, you will probably lose them! (Remember, RxP is strong enough to kill free floating ich!)

·
1,131 Posts
What I really love about all of this. All of these "advanced hobbiest" say to quarantine fish to stop ich/kill ich/prevent ich but there are people that have had fish for years and never add a fish, then all of the sudden get ich. Or there are people like us that had fish with no ich, for months, then put in a fish that WAS QUARANTINED IN COPPER for 3 weeks and we get ich. Is there any real way to prevent it?

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
Anthony Calfo spoke to us in Guana and me personally and said, if you have or had ich, you will never rid it. I have never had it in my tank and my water etc has been in there for 5 plus years. my neighbor got it from one fish and in the three years watching his tank, his fish get it off and on. he quarintines, copper, doses etc. Calfo also told me that he has heard of a super parasite, in which, the parasitites actually get used to anything you dose. So I am not sure what the perfect solutuion is. I know some lfs use kick ich and run copper. That doesnt help us much. Just my thoughts.

·
1,131 Posts
Anthony Calfo spoke to us in Guana and me personally and said, if you have or had ich, you will never rid it. I have never had it in my tank and my water etc has been in there for 5 plus years. my neighbor got it from one fish and in the three years watching his tank, his fish get it off and on. he quarintines, copper, doses etc. Calfo also told me that he has heard of a super parasite, in which, the parasitites actually get used to anything you dose. So I am not sure what the perfect solutuion is. I know some lfs use kick ich and run copper. That doesnt help us much. Just my thoughts.
that kinda goes along with the saying that there is ich in everyones tank.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Interesting quotes on the RX-P Nikonosis. It ticked my mushrooms of very slightly, but they rebounded pretty fast. It didn't affect my GBTA at all. I've seen my starfish legs out scavenging for food (from under his rock) several times, so I know he's ok.

·
1,131 Posts
It figures out of everybody on this forum, you would reply as such. I am glad you figured it out there nik. I was just posting of things I heard , seen and have been told. Maybe you did not read, that doesnt help us much comment?
QUIT POSTING STUFF LIKE THIS, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC!!!!!!! I did nothing to you to deserve those comments... My post wasn't calling you a liar or anything like that. I don't know what you thought by my reply to your post but I was agreeing with what you posted. I think there is ich in everyones tank and fish have to build an immunity to it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts