The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought my first montis and acros from WWC, dipped them and quarantined for 4-5 weeks, all seemed happy, moved to DT and seemed happy for about 2 weeks and then all of a sudden a few days ago one of the encrusting montis lost color rapidly, then a day or two later another, to the point where I am throwing in the towel on those two. Only monti left is a digita branching type, no sign of color loss. This guy in this steel bowl in the photo above seemed to come off the base of one I removed from the tank, but he doesn't appear to wriggle, he scoots like with legs. I guess its good I have a Yellow Corris wrasse in Q tank for about 2.5 weeks now, maybe he can save the digita if that's what it is. Read the dip doesn't kill the eggs though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kind of thinking its more like a pod since it scuttled along the bottom and didn't wiggle. But this morning in the same bowl I found this guy lurking.

Eye Arthropod Insect Wood Grey

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just noticed the last montipora, the digita stick has a few bare spots on it. Is there anything I can do to save it? Coral dip and scrub base with toothbrush? But then back into same tank or should I place in QT? There is Corris wrasse in QT that might save it? Or is it better to put it back in same light/conditions its in now and just dip and scrub every 3-4 days?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually over the last few days the monti digita looks better in terms of less bare spots, so I have held off dipping it as to not stress it out for no reason without proper diagnosis, as I said above I don't think I have found an actual nudie yet, just got a pod and some brittle star off the frags that were dying, so maybe another explanation. Two things I can think of that recently changed, we hit summer and my tank temp went from 78-79 solid to swinging between 80-82, I do have AC but I usually set it to 78 when at work and when I get home the highest temp has been 82 and first thing in the morning its 80. None of the other corals mind but are encrusting montis more sensitive? Also, I recently started dosing two part (and testing) and I did so slowly but brought Calcium from about 390 to 450-460 and kH from about 7.4 to 8 ish and Mg from about 1250 to about 1350-1400 over the course of a week, again are these monti encrusters more sensitive?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts