The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought my first montis and acros from WWC, dipped them and quarantined for 4-5 weeks, all seemed happy, moved to DT and seemed happy for about 2 weeks and then all of a sudden a few days ago one of the encrusting montis lost color rapidly, then a day or two later another, to the point where I am throwing in the towel on those two. Only monti left is a digita branching type, no sign of color loss. This guy in this steel bowl in the photo above seemed to come off the base of one I removed from the tank, but he doesn't appear to wriggle, he scoots like with legs. I guess its good I have a Yellow Corris wrasse in Q tank for about 2.5 weeks now, maybe he can save the digita if that's what it is. Read the dip doesn't kill the eggs though.

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
28,551 Posts
I can’t tell by photo, looks like some kind of pod in the photo. But you have a better look . This is what they look like.
Underwater Plant Marine biology Freezing Reef

thier are bad types of pods. I personally never seen one.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just noticed the last montipora, the digita stick has a few bare spots on it. Is there anything I can do to save it? Coral dip and scrub base with toothbrush? But then back into same tank or should I place in QT? There is Corris wrasse in QT that might save it? Or is it better to put it back in same light/conditions its in now and just dip and scrub every 3-4 days?

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
That looks like a micro brittle starfish, harmless and will multiply. I like them.
I agree.

On the other thing it looks like a Pod, but you can tell better by behavior than look. Monti Nudies are very, very small, and will only be on Montis. The nudies are easy to kill, but the eggs are the real concern because they will survive a dip. In the future if you see a nudi come off in the dip, you can be sure that there are eggs on the coral.

Bare spots on the coral don't mean nudis, I would inspect closely. It could be a bad reaction to the dip, or some stray glue got on it, or things like that.

Whiskey

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually over the last few days the monti digita looks better in terms of less bare spots, so I have held off dipping it as to not stress it out for no reason without proper diagnosis, as I said above I don't think I have found an actual nudie yet, just got a pod and some brittle star off the frags that were dying, so maybe another explanation. Two things I can think of that recently changed, we hit summer and my tank temp went from 78-79 solid to swinging between 80-82, I do have AC but I usually set it to 78 when at work and when I get home the highest temp has been 82 and first thing in the morning its 80. None of the other corals mind but are encrusting montis more sensitive? Also, I recently started dosing two part (and testing) and I did so slowly but brought Calcium from about 390 to 450-460 and kH from about 7.4 to 8 ish and Mg from about 1250 to about 1350-1400 over the course of a week, again are these monti encrusters more sensitive?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts