The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I've got a bit of a hair algae problem at the moment, and as I'm sure most people know, almost all methods to get rid of it(or any type of algae for that matter) involve physically removing it from the tank.
I've been pulling out as much as i can by hand, but today I had a brain wave, (I'm sure most people will see this is obvious but I was quite pleased with myself) why not just set up a siphon into a bucket with a net on the end. Then you can vacuum away the inside of the tank, knowing that all the algae/detritus is being caught by the net, and every so often just pour the water back from the bucket to the tank. You could also do the same with a sump, just increase the return flow to match the demand, and then vacuum until your tank is lovely and clean.
Now obviously I'm NOT suggesting this replaces regular WC, but it feels a lot more effective, and is much easier than removing it by hand, so can anyone think of a reason this may be a bad idea?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I can see why cleaning the sand would be bad, there's all sorts of nasties in there I dont want to stir up, but how about just the hair algae from the rock? That doesn't stir anything up...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts