The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well recently I have been looking around to start up a tank. I came across an add and it appeared to be a complete setup. He stated that he would be willing to sell everything for $925. The items are:
125 Gallon Tank w/stand and Custom Overflows $320.00

Wet/Dry Unit with BioBalls $45.00

36 Watt DoubleHelix UV Sterilizer(nearly new) $115.00

Red Sea 200 Gallon Salt Mix (New) $41.00

24 GPD RO/DI Unit (also included – brand new sediment cartridge and chlorine guzzler cartridge) DI cartridge will need replaced $145

Little Giant 4MDQ-SC Water Pump- 812 GPH (old, but works) $42

Rio 1100 Pump/Pwrhead (2 units) 300GPH $10.00 each

Rio 2100 Pump/Pwrhead – 692 GPH $22.00
MANY Coral Skeletons (everything from perfect to fair condition) – white, blue, pink $140.00

Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter $85.00

How does it sound?? Should I try to lower the cost a little or is it a fair price? He told me the tank has a small ding in the side of it but he had it evaluated and was told the "ding" would not pose a problem. Thanks for any input!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Lights??

Is it going to be a fish only or a reef? I am thinking that is what is needed for a FO....you would have to spend a lot more for lights if you wanted a reef. Also, remember live rock and live stock is a lot for a tank that size!

I know you can get a new Magnum 350 for around $100, not 100% positive....

·
Registered
637 Posts
I dont think that is bad. Dont know about the tank, but I would think that is a good price for a 125 with drilled overflows!

Be carefull with pumps, you never know what they have gone through and they can cost from $50-$100 to replace depending on what pump you want...I always have a spare pump around in case something fails so I always have water going where I need it.

I dont think you are getting a STEAL, but you arent getting ripped off either! I think it is a fair price for both sides!

·
Registered
142 Posts
The Tank and Stand assuming they are in good condition sounds like a good price, but if you are going with a FOWLR the rest of the items might not be a good investment for you. IE that pump is a little on a weak side for the tank (unless that 812gph rating is at 5ft of head) and I personally wouldn't reccomend putting a Rio in the tank as a powerhead (I haven't used one but heard they can tend to fair a polute the water). The wet/dry with bio balls would probably work best with out the bio balls (read substitute a 29 gallon tank for this) and the canister filter wouldn't be needed as well.

The UV Sterilizer isn't a bad idea, but I've never used one on a tank with LR in it. There are people who believe it doesn't hurt anything and there are people who think it kills beneficial microrganisms that are associated with the LR.

In addition to the tank, the RO unit and the Salt mix are the only items I would look at further and none are EXTREMELY GREAT prices IMO.

Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts