The Reef Tank banner

Is there truly an advantage of changing vortech flow modes throughout the day?

593 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Oxylebius 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to the forum and apologize if this question has been addressed a lot already.

I have Ecotech Vortech pumps and would like to get the Reeflink controller so that I can program different pump modes to come on at various times during the day. For instance, usng Reefcrest early and Tidal Swell late in the day with a period of Nutrient Transport once a day to clear out debris. While it sounds like an awesome way to get all the advantages of the different pump modes, I'm wondering if anyone has actually verified that this is a good thing for the reef tank. I worry that this could actually do more harm than good if corals prefer stable conditions. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#3 ·
No experience with the controller listed but in the wild water is anything but static. Tides and what not keep everything in motion. So in theory it should be ok but most corals in home tanks are used to a lot less motion so may need to readjust.

#4 ·
I'm not sure if anything like this can really clean out debris, at least not in comparison to you using a turkey baster or pipette to blow debris...

What you want in a reef tank is random flow over your corals (not constant flow). So, this might help in providing random flow, I'm skeptical in its effort to blow debris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.