The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie to aquariums and started with a 20-gallon freshwater with a beautiful Red Ryukin goldfish (named Angelina Jolie!), some sunburst platys, some yellow lyretails, and a few neon tetras. My tank's been going strong for almost 2 months and I got brave. I thought I'd take a shot at getting a cute green spotted puffer and have had her for 2 days and all has been well.... until I got home today. I'm totally devestated to find that my GSP has nipped the beautiful tail fins on my poor Angelina and has even taken a chunk out of my lyretail. Oh, and I'm missing a neon tetra. :bigeek:So, I took back the GSP to my LFS. I feel like a moron because I didn't believe she would really nip my fish's fins-- she looked too cute an innocent. Boy, was I wrong.

My question is--- is there any way to fix/repair/heal my Angelina's tail fins and get them to grow back?? Every time I look at her I feel horrible for my ignorant mistake in getting that stupid GSP. Help!!!!!!~

Thanks
~K

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
If it's just nipped fins time will take care of it...in a FW tank you can use something like melafix to promote healing.

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
So long as your water quality is good and you don't have any other aggression in the tank I would expect them to make a full recovery. I've seen a few fish left with scaring to effected areas but those where SW fish with HLLE or other diseases...fins will normally grow back out to look just like before.

·
Human grounding probe
1,896 Posts
Get the goldfish her own tank. Puffers are notorious fin nippers. And Fancy gold fish aren't exatly know for their ability to get away from anything .

As easy as goldfish are to keep. IMO, they are one of the most negleted animals in FW aquaria. Second only to Bettas. Get her a tank all to herself, beef up the filtration and forget the heater. Goldfish are not tropical. The do best in BRRRRRR cold water. It's just a nod to the GF's natural metobolic capacity that they are able to ward off tropical tempretures and pathogens long enough to normally kill off their more temperate tankmates by out competing and out pooping them.

It is nothing against you. Most knowledgible aquarist really know little to nothing about goldfish. past the fact that they eat a lot,poop a lot and won't die. Truth is though, they have no place in a tropical tank. Especially with a puffer. The other fish you mentioned should have no problem keeping away from him. So long as you keep him fed properly and he doesn't go looking for midnight snacks.

·
Human grounding probe
1,896 Posts
Him = the puffer of course

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up taking the puffer back and treating the goldfish with Melafix for a few weeks. Her fins look fine now- they are still a little tattered, but healed ok! Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I ended up taking the puffer back and treating the goldfish with Melafix for a few weeks. Her fins look fine now- they are still a little tattered, but healed ok! Thanks everyone!
Glad to hear it!:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts