The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Banggai Mommy
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, my LumenMax Elite moguls came, and it didn't dawn on me (always having used PFO) there there would be a funky plug on it.

My ballasts are IceCap, and purchased secondhand, already mounted in a nice oak box with fans and a heat sink... and wired to accept standard 3-pronged plugs from the reflectors.

So does anyone know of some sort of adapter with a female end that will fit the funky Sunlight Supply male end, and have a standard 3 pronged male end itself, so I can just quick-connect my two incompatable systems??

If that was as clear as mud, I need something that looks like this:

(sunlight supply end) -.. ________ :- (ballast)

Does such an item exist? I don't want to burn down my house, cut up the cords to my BRAND NEW reflectors, or tear apart this beautifully wired ballast setup.

Thanks!
Danielle

· Banggai Mommy
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe this will make more sense. The outlet is on the side of the box with the ballasts mounted in it. (I love this setup) and the top plug is the LumenMax Elite. I just want to join the two as simply as possible.

I tried to take apart the mogul in the interim, but didn't want to damage it when I found I couldn't get to the wiring easily...

Attachments

· Banggai Mommy
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's apparently Sunlight Supply's proprietary plug configuration. (Will automatically fit BlueLine and Sunlight Supply ballasts among other.)

And the ivory receptacle was wired up that way by the prior owner- the ballasts are wired to it (inside the box) to provide a clean look.

And yes, that's the right reflector. I am so pumped about this! (once I outsmart the wiring, that it.)

· Banggai Mommy
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Um, no. The plugs don't match. I have IceCap ballasts, wired into standard configuration outlets, and need some sort of connector to link the two, or I need to rewire one or the other.

The pic shows what I'm trying to join...

Unless someone knows the trick to getting the LumenMax Elite mogul housing apart, because I don't want to force it and it isn't obvious.

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
contact ReefGeek.. I just ordered a pair with my lumen max 3's to interface with my Vossloh Schwabe ballasts. they are like $3-$4 each plus shipping

· Banggai Mommy
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I was just thinking that a ready-made adapter/connector would be easier.

But if splicing is what I have to do...

it would be a lot easier to do it at the initial connection right at the mogul - anyone know a trick to pop them apart? I fiddled with it, but couldn't get the housing open.

· Just send me a PM ;)
16,985 Posts
You will void any warranty on the reflector if you cut the cord (not like it really matters, cause not much can go wrong with them)... seriously call reefgeek and tell them that you need the male adapter to plug into the female on the reflector cord. tell them what reflectors you have and they will know what you are talking about.. not cutting or splicing, just attach them to wires coming out of the icecap ballast and ur done...

· Banggai Mommy
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
The adapter is just that one end - I was simply looking for a ready-make piece, not something I'm going to have to wire at all. I'd still have to connect it to a standard male plug, basically creating the connector piece I was hoping was already out there somewhere. Does that make sense? The ballasts are wired into standard receptacles, which is why simply wiring in the female receptacle isn't quite as easy. This is really hard to explain, but looks a lot cleaner than the typical rat-nest of ballast cords. I attached a couple of pics. I really don't want to change too much at the box. What I initially looked for was a wall receptacle that I could just swap out at the box, but didn't realized it was a proprietary piece.

Reefgeek does have the cheapest price for the female receptacle I've seen, though, so thanks for that tip. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and see if they have any ideas.

I think mostly I'm just frustated. Due to some pretty significant family issues, it's just me here for the time being. My sister is visiting this week, and I was hoping to get the new lights up, as I'm not physically able to remove the canopy by myself, and being that the tank is full of coral, I can't really leave it unlit for any length of time.

Thinking about it more, this family thing is really a huge undercurrent, and the fact that I didn't anticipate unmatching cables just sort of threw me for a loop. Normally, it wouldn't be a big deal, but like I said, there is a lot of stuff going on right now.

Thanks for all your suggestions,
Danielle

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.