The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My temp issues are the opposite. I need to keep my tank cooler. With the hood on, 50/50 32w and a good PH, the water gets up to 86* in the mid of the day. Even our home AC is having trouble keeping up this week. Tried lights off, but who wants a dark tank?
My Q is: Did I read somewhere that Radio Shack makes a tiny fan that some of you have retrofitted into your hoods? Im going to try to do a search, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

Ray or Rick???????

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Yup, Will did just that Nicole. He wire it directly to his power source. What size tank? Justin uses a 20 gal sump on his nano tank and uses a desk fan to blow across his sump. It cools down his 10 gal rather well. The other thing to try is what RobinsonFAm tried and made small legs to try to elevate their lights just a bit and allow more airflow. (I think it was them anyways. They are good with acrylics it seems and I think they made acrylic legs.

The other thing that I tried with my 3 gal and it seemed to work is I pointed the teeny powerheads upwards to break the surface of the water. It seemed to help and lower the tank temp a few degrees. Justin wants to experiment with opposite light, since he feels he is at school during the day and at home at night, put timers to have the tank on at night, and off during the day.

Ray

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Nicole - not sure what size your tank is, but I had some heat issues to. I installed 4" radio shack fans in the hood and went to a 8p-8a light schedule. I haven't seen the temp past 84 since. It usually hovers between 80-82. BTW they do make a 3" fan.

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Hey nicole I just done my canopy for my 72 gallon and made up my own set up with fans. I could do a kit for you if you want one. Two 4 inch fans all wired with the adapter and the grills. 20 buxs plus shipping!!! I will try and post a pic got to get my camera back up and going!! I was checking around and 1 fan is about that much to buy! let me know:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'll butt in here....

I had a 12g nano for a while, and with a mini mite and two additional 13w PC's, my tank got hot.

I went to the RadioShack.com store (formerly tech america) at 285 and Buford Highway.
I picked up two micro fans and a 12VDC supply for not much money. A little creativity and some metal brackets was all it took to attach these to the canopy.

Radio shack still has micro fans - matter of fact, check out http://www.radioshack.com/searchsku.asp?find=273-240
(if that doesn't work, its part number 273-240).

They're great fans, and the best part is, they're only 1.57"x1.57"!!!

JJ

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone

I checked out the radio shack site. I think Im going to get the 2" with the 12v adapter. My opening on the hood is only 2"x2 1/2". I would really prefer not to mailorder it (sorry Demp) because I want it NOW!!!! Tank parameters are perfect except for the temp. issue. I really want to start aquascaping with my frags. I'll post pics of what I "rig" up.
You guys are the best!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.