The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a goby but I have crushed coral for my substrate. Is there any goby that would work with it. I would like to switch over to sand but that would be later on the line. Any recommendations? Preferably something that will sift it

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a dragon goby (aka banded goby) that would sift my crushed coral substrate. It was fun watching him do that. Lost him in a tank crash, and hoping to replace him soon.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
because they like to dig and sift i don't recommend it. the other problem is that they scoot around on thier bellies and CC can cause sores and leisions on some gobies.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have this dude in my 75g but I'm not sure what type of gobie he is(acquired him with the tank). The sandbed is a mix of CC and medium sized sand. He sift it in a way ... he sifts the sand and spits all the large pieces of coral, shells (including dead snail shells) along the front edge of the tank. His name is "Casper" as he's almost a tranparent white with small beige spots.

Attachments

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know the exact size of it. I was Caribsea crushed coral. Not the live stuff, just dry bag of it. I think it was like 50 lbs of it. I guess I should go home and try to measure to get an idea of what Ive got. So if its less than 5 mm in diameter, then a goby such as a diamond goby would be good?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I don't know what kind of CC was put in my tank. I acquired the tank and all it's contents a month ago. Some of the CC is larger than what appears in the picture and he seems to do fine with it. It's just the really big stuff that he just spits back out instead of sift it. He is also good at stirring up the top layer of sand and CC when he swims. He swims in short bursts of speed and stops, then goes again. There's always a little cloud of dust behind him. LOL

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I had my prawn goby (which is the perticular goby that maintains a symbiotic relationship with certain shrimps) for almost a year on CC. I fianlly moved him to my 29 with the dsb and hes much happier, but CC would be alright.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts