The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I think it is growing. Pet stores that used to deal in freshwater are starting to sale saltwater stuff. I may hit up petco for salt and test stuff like that but definately still prefer the specialty saltwater store for my livestock. Got one fish from someplace not a specialty store and got bad info so gonna stick with the pro's from now on.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Yes I think it is growing all the time, I think That once in the hobby people find this site along with many other sites and then the ease of the internet to buy things. But while all this is good and I am all for the internet, I think alot of the small LFS are hurting. All my life I wanted to work in one and did, I found that alot of stores can't sell for the price that the internet stores can. alot of times they can't even buy wholesale for the price that the big internet stores sell at. it is the LFS that brings people into the hobbie, Not the Internet stores. I see a day when the local store will be a thing of the past and then we will only have large chains to go to like walmat did to the small corner store. It's all progress I guess.
I have been in the hobby for over 30 years and we have really come along ways, I love it. but I also would hate to see the day when I can't visit the small stores and have to go to a Chain store. They will be own My all the big internet stores. JMO

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I beleive that 90 percent of the hobby boom is because of the internet. Real information. LFS owners (mostly and like a car salesman) just want to sell you something.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yeah you can get great deals online but I still like being able to go in and hand pick what I want. So everyone go out to your lfs and buy buy buy. Let's keep these guys around. Nothing beats dealing with a live person especially if you find someone that really knows what their doing and genuinely wish to educate hobbyist.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I make it a point to support my LFS as well as other small businesses, though sometimes to save $50.00 on say, a skimmer, I will order from Foster/Smith.
The thing I like about my LFS is that they have talked me out of several sales because it was the wrong decision at the time. They would prefer to have me wait instead of making the sale. I buy all of my livestock and LR from them.
But back to the original point of the thread, yes in my area I think the hobby is growing.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i go to my lfs every day its one of my clubs sponser and i know the manger. He does alot for his customers. i go in twice a week i dont always buy something but i can discuss things with the staff and other customers. i would hate if there is only big chain fish stores. in GA fish stores seem to be ok. but i am not behind the scenes so i can not be sure. i belive the local fish store is a part of the hobby, and with out them where would we hold are club meetings.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
I beleive that 90 percent of the hobby boom is because of the internet. Real information. LFS owners (mostly and like a car salesman) just want to sell you something.

I don't agree here, I have never met a person that started in this hobby because of the internet. I don't see someone doing a search and then saying I think I will start up a reef tank. Maybe a few , It is by a visit to a LFS or knowing someone that hads a tank..But as far as having that much of an impact. I don't see that.
I agree it plays a big part in the hobby, But the hobby hads been around for many years before the internet. ant it was the LFS that keep it alive and are still playiing a big part in it.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Yes It is and I think the Internet has help in many ways!The pricesThe knowledge(TRT).Hardly any LFS will ask you about what you have and just sell you something and will die on own or be killed.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
While i agree that there has been a boom as of the last few years... the hobby still has the stigma of being overcomplicated. Everyone i talk to about it always asks "isn't it really hard to keep one of those." Until that goes away (and the costs go down) i wouldn't expect to see an explosion on the scale that the big pet industries have gone (i.e. cats, dogs...). as far as the impact of the internet... i think it has helped the hobby with information... but it is killing the LFS, in the end i am more than happy to pay a little more to be able to pick my critter out from a lineup than let some unknown person throw something into a bag for me.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i agree but when i was a kid i walk in the fish store and said mommy i want a fishy but 10 other kids walked in and said i want a doggy. and not every one is in to their fish like we are, and dont take care of them. alot of fish and coral
die because of this. The more he hobby grows the more fish and coral collected this has to affect coral reefs around the world.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
thekid55 said:
has the hobby grown in the last five years?
I think it's an illusion. As people get more involved in the hobby, they find more resources and get better tied into it. That exposure would give them the illusion that there's more people doing it.

The numbers we're crunched on this end, say the hobby has remained static over the past 6-8 years.

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
For me it was going into the LFS the last 10 years to get my freshwater stuff, but didnt have time for 2 tanks. A while back I realized after looking at the saltwater livestaock at the LFS I had no real joy anymore in my freshwater stuff, I gave it all away and dove into the saltwater reef setups. With 20 times more stuff going on its hard not to enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spanky said:
I think it's an illusion. As people get more involved in the hobby, they find more resources and get better tied into it. That exposure would give them the illusion that there's more people doing it.

The numbers we're crunched on this end, say the hobby has remained static over the past 6-8 years.
never though of it that way.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Now that i think about it... you would almost think it is regressing out here because we have lost quite a few of the major tank holders. of course with them getting rid of their tanks that has made for a big time market for goods around here. but it is harder to sell items for their actual value.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Well in conclusion, there are a substantial number more people in the hobby today than years ago , due to , IMO,

*the internet
*advancments in aquarium technology and life support

However, most non saltwater people look at as though it is too comlicated and costly.

I also have to disagree with whoever said more LFS 's are carrying saltwater now, from what I have seen, Many places near me have stoped carrying saltwter due to the fact they simply were not sellling anny of the animals. Ive seen three petlands stop carrying marine near me in the past two years. The only saltwater place I buy at is in Hackensack New Jersey, Called, "reef Encounter" , and dispite the fact that they haave an amazing selection of marine fish and soft corals, you see less people in the Marine section than in the freshwater section.

But it will grow. Alot of people have been starting to set up set up small FOWLR or nano reefs. It will grow in time as technology in all fields advances.

·
Premium Member
13,218 Posts
Technology has not changed one bit in the past 10 years.

There have been several new gimmicks, same old thing repackaged, labeled new and improved, etc
Another product that promises you'll never have to do water changes, etc.

Speaking of that! Isn't it hysterical that the first thing they tell you with fresh water is to do large water changes - often.
Yet in saltwater, they promise you if you buy this product, you'll never have to do water changes again.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts