The Reef Tank banner

Is only 3 years worth it?

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Arwen 
#1 ·
Hello TRT communitty!
I just joined TRT this last week, but I have visited many times before. I have a quandary: My wife insists we are going to move after our little girl gets out of 5th grade (it works out because she will be going to a new school anyway) and she is in 2nd grade now. I have a 120 gallon tank I am dying to setup, but not sure if having only 3ish years to do so is even worth it.
Little background:
I have a 29 gallon fish only with a 10 gallon sump that has been up for 4-41/2 years. I am comfortable maintaing it and I enjoy setting up a system that works and keeps my fish happy and alive. At 1 point I even had a blood shrimp and cleaner shrimp living happily together:beer:. (faulty pump that shorted and fried my tank took care of that happy time :()

My 120 gallon is going to have 40 gallon breeder as a sump, I have the pumps, the skimmer, lights appropriate for corals, basically all the mechanical equipment I need. I have been collecting items over the last 2 years and they just sit in my garage. I have just had other projects house related to deal with first. Now I have the time and money to do my 120 gallon. All I need is a power outlet, which I have a friend ready to do for me, and to get a water unit.

So if I want to setup a mixed tank, figuring in a year or so to set it up, should I wait the 3 years and setup after move? Or should I stop toturing myself and set it upnow?
Thanks for your input!

See less See more
#2 ·
After three years with a 120 you are going to want to upgrade much like CRZV's build. This time will get you used to the tank and the time money and other requirements of a larger tank. Not to mention you will stop torturing yourself and get to build something you really enjoy.

that is my.02

#3 ·
Depends on how far you're moving... If it is within a few hours drive, you could put livestock, live rock, and water in big food safe containers and transport them into your upgraded tank or if by then you're still fine with your 120 you could just put it all back in. Just plug in powerheads and heaters at the new location while you set up the tank if its not already set up.
It can be done with careful planning, and with 3 years ahead of you, it can be planned over time easily.

#5 ·
Depends on how far you're moving... If it is within a few hours drive, you could put livestock, live rock, and water in big food safe containers and transport them into your upgraded tank or if by then you're still fine with your 120 you could just put it all back in.
So how expensive is moving it and is it really hard? I have to imgaine that would be heavy, the water alone is somewhere near 500 pounds? If I could do it, you may have ust made my day!

#4 ·
+1 I forgot to mention that it did not sound like you are going to be moving far.

with my 150 we are planning to move within the next year. I have the tank setup so that it can be the last thing broken down and moved and will be the first thing set up at the new place where ever on gods green earth that my be.

#6 ·
Well it may be fairly easy and cheap to move if you only move 40 miles. But if you are moving across country, it may be better to try to sell the tank itself a while ahead of your move so you can get a fair price... another thing. You two may change your mind about the move or when to have it. I think one thing you have not really realized is when you go from 5th to 6th grade. You still are generally with the same kids. The only thing that differs is the senority they will have (instead of being the upper class in that school, they will be the lower class in the new school)

#7 ·
moving is like building a tank in reverse. take out the rock corals and fish pack the rock in wet news paper corals and fish go in 5 gallon buckets with air supply lines with a stone or wood aerator on the end. then break the tank town from the stand adn hood throw it in a truck and then set every thing up.

after being set up for three years you are going to want to replace the sand bottom clean the tank and sump with a vinegar solution. then have salt make up water ready to go back into old tank or into new setup which ever works out. then re-acclimate fish and corals and then unpack the rest of your house.

I know that sounds really simple but that is really the just of it.

BTW 120 gallons of salt water is about 900 pounds

#15 ·
Well, my tank is just over 2 yrs old and I'm being "forced" to upgrade due to bad equipment. I can't really afford to toss and replace all my sand - is there a way to recharge it so to speak? Also, I will need to be able to add my critters back quickly as the LFS will be holding them for me - so would recharging or replacing the sand delay that? Thanks :)

#16 ·
Well, my tank is just over 2 yrs old and I'm being "forced" to upgrade due to bad equipment. I can't really afford to toss and replace all my sand - is there a way to recharge it so to speak? Also, I will need to be able to add my critters back quickly as the LFS will be holding them for me - so would recharging or replacing the sand delay that? Thanks :)
Ive never had to change my sand yet so im not sure, I wonder if you can cook it, like the way you can cook live rock?
I think a partial replacement would better than no replacement, it'll give your new tank a boost and you'll keep alot of the wee bugs and bacteria that the system needs. But not being an expert myself i'd definatly get another opinion on this :)

ste

i just saw its only 2 years old, it sould be ok for 3-4 years at least, i'd keep it all

#17 ·
Yes, sand can be a phosphate sponge basically. Plus, when you move it, without the water moving over it, it spoils in essence. It causes more harm than good after letting it sit for hours on end without water circulating. Plus, any deitritus buildup may be brought to the top causing your tank to cycle again. It is a LOT easier to just start with new sand. I too would go ahead and start the tank. You will be glad you did, plus you can learn even more. I think its increadible that you have taken your time to learn before going big, thats VERY responsible and its nice to see that people still care enough to take there time. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.