The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
So my LFS is pretty large, 9,000 gallon of marine and 5,000 gallon of fresh. http://www.absolutelyfish.com/

So my tank has just finished cycling and I wanted to add some crabs then in a month add fish. Well, crabs there are $9.99 each when on http://www.liveaquaria.com/ they are either $1.29 each or 89 cents each.

Why are they asking so much for them? They told me that was market price and when I said I can get them cheaper online, they just said go ahead.

Also, they have small clowns for $29.99 when the same tank bread ones are $16.99 on the net.

Is it worth just buying off the net?

I'm just scared to add a whole bunch of fish into a new tank in a month. I would get 10 crabs, 2 snails, and three fish. Buying online is about 60% less.

I rather add the fish one at a time, see how thet do, then add more. But doing that will cost a lot, but buying online I don't have that option.

·
AKA Captain Jack Sparrow
346 Posts
you have to think about shipping also. im pretty sure live aquaria shipping is $35. im not sure i would be adding anything besides a small clean up crew yet. i would give it alt least 6 weeks before adding some fish. what kind of crabs?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No way am I adding fish until June at the earliest.

The crabs are just simple hermit crabs.

Even with the $35 shipping I save a ton

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i buy things all the time over the web. when your tank starts to reach capacity it becomes less economical to order online because of the shipping issue. i always figure shipping into the equation when selecting fish from the LFS. it is also nice to be able to see the health of a fish before buying.

as for snails and crabs these can always be bought in quantity over the net. www.keyscritters.com has excelent snail/crab prices.

G~

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd order online or find another LFS.
I went to three here in North NJ/NYC metro and they are all so much more than online.

I think I will wait till my tank is just right and buy my whole fish stock at once online. Hopefully they don't die.

·
AKA Captain Jack Sparrow
346 Posts
I went to three here in North NJ/NYC metro and they are all so much more than online.

I think I will wait till my tank is just right and buy my whole fish stock at once online. Hopefully they don't die.
i would try not to add more than one or two fish at a time, more than that will just increase the bioload and lead to other problems

·
Registered
8 Posts
$9.99 for regular hermits is definitely out of line. If you're looking for a clean-up crew try www.garf.org. I just bought one for a 30 gal tank which included 30 snails & 15 crabs for $75 (included shipping). That comes out to be around $1.67 each. And they threw in a free frag to boot!!!

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
are you sure they are just regular hermits? could they be electric blue or halloween hermit crabs? the going price for them is 9.99

regular hermits no matter where you go, online or store, are typically 89 cents for the cheapy zebra's to 2.99 for the scarlet reef hermits.

29.99 is alot for a clown, unless they are larger. the bigger ones will cost more
last year tank bred clowns used to cost 14.99 in my area, recently they went up in cost for some reason, and i now am seeing them around me for 19.99

either way this place does sound like a rip off. i hate stores like that
but if its the only store in your neighborhood then you might just have to go for it if it means convenience :confused:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just regular ol'e hermit crabs. Nothing fancy about them at all. Some were even in cracked shells.

I hate the northeast so much. This just gave me another reason to leave this crap hole.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Do you have any friends into the hobby or a local reef club? I would look into getting in on a group order, that way you save on shipping and stuff. If not you just have to pay on the shipping, but it is better than supporting a store that is just going to rip you off.

I have to agree on the pricing BTW...that is not "market price". Locally in my area one store charges about that for clowns while the others are 14.99 to 19.99 depending on size.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep, they run 1.50 here. Sometimes you can get them on sale 10 for $10 or 20 for $15. Are there any other lfs or are they the only one. Prices here dropped big time when more lfs began selling marine.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Just regular ol'e hermit crabs. Nothing fancy about them at all. Some were even in cracked shells.

I hate the northeast so much. This just gave me another reason to leave this crap hole.
if you think the northeast is bad try living in los angeles, rip off city!
now im back on the northeast, not sure what part of jersey your in, but if That Pet Place is within driving distance to you, you may want to check them out. they have great prices and they have everything. they are located in lancaster county PA

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you think the northeast is bad try living in los angeles, rip off city!
now im back on the northeast, not sure what part of jersey your in, but if That Pet Place is within driving distance to you, you may want to check them out. they have great prices and they have everything. they are located in lancaster county PA

Thanks. I will look for them.

I just went to Petland Discount, a small chain around here, and I bought three hermits for $7. Two blue and a zebra. Still on the high side to what you guys are posting, but much cheaper than everyone else around here. I called a total of 6 stores today and these were the only guys within a normal price range.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, they run 1.50 here. Sometimes you can get them on sale 10 for $10 or 20 for $15. Are there any other lfs or are they the only one. Prices here dropped big time when more lfs began selling marine.
Within a 30 min drive I have a pretty darn good selection of stores. I think I called or visited a little more than 10, but I just think I live in a pricey area. Oh well, 2 more years and I'm out of here.

·
Great TANG LOVER!
620 Posts
A couple of points worth mentioning here.....
1) The LFS has to pay for the 14,000 gallons of selection...Economics 101.
2) You CAN order it online.....It MAY live.
3) In the event that it DOESN'T live...FAR better off with a lfs.
4) Are the live animals you see pictured the actual ones you will revieve? NOPE! The ones you pick out in a lfs ar WYSIWYG .
5) I buy drygoods online only.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Thanks. I will look for them.

I just went to Petland Discount, a small chain around here, and I bought three hermits for $7. Two blue and a zebra. Still on the high side to what you guys are posting, but much cheaper than everyone else around here. I called a total of 6 stores today and these were the only guys within a normal price range.

petland discounts! brings back memories lol
i grew up in brooklyn and i used to shop there all the time :rotflmao:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
A couple of points worth mentioning here.....
1) The LFS has to pay for the 14,000 gallons of selection...Economics 101.
2) You CAN order it online.....It MAY live.
3) In the event that it DOESN'T live...FAR better off with a lfs.
4) Are the live animals you see pictured the actual ones you will revieve? NOPE! The ones you pick out in a lfs ar WYSIWYG .
5) I buy drygoods online only.
I am all for supporting my lfs but the prices these guys are charging for hemits is rediculous! I don't buy online I love the lfs, but they can make a profit and be reasonable at the same time.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
What size tank?Did you try Animal House in Butler?He has nice stuff and good prices for that area. Absolutely is high price for sure ,but has nice stuff and hard to find corals ,clams and fish.For you That Pet Place in Pa., will take you at least 4 to 4 1/2 hours to get there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts