The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Yellow Leather Coral on Friday. Today, I noticed that on one edge of the ruffle, it turned sort of brown/black. I shook it off and it floated in the water. Now, where this was there a part of the leather missing. Will it be ok? Anyone else experience this before?

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Hey there! Welcome to TRT!!!

I had a spaghetti leather that I received with some damage at the base. I was able to get it to attach to some LR. Over time it healed. I did have blow it off every few days with a turkey baster to keep algae from growing on the "wound". It's healthy now and tripled in size

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
Tyrant...How did your leather do? I have a new one that seems to be doing the same thing. I will increase flow and see if that helps

·
Registered
48 Posts
Leathers will do what they call sloughing every few weeks where they will slime and look pretty bad but will go back to normal within a day or so. They do need some medium flow on them.

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
ok, that is what my own toadstool is looking a lot like right now. i was getting worried because my spaghetti leather was getting a rotten base and i just had to cut the top off and remount it.

i have been blasting them with a powerhead daily to try and help clear them off.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When my leather toadstool does this. is scrunches up for about 3 days just looking all pissed off. then around day 4 it pops open and sheds and looks very happy. I usually try to make sure and have some carbon in the sump when i notice this. So it can look pissed for a few days and not show shedding then start shedding later..

·
Registered
400 Posts
you know one time mine was doing this, and i didn't know what was going on, so i set it down at the bottom thinking it was getting to much light and flow. so it sat down there scrunched up for like almost 2 weeks. before I thought what the heck is going on, i put it back up there and within 2 days it shed. Oops!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts