The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I recently bought some Mighty Putty the "as seen on TV by Billy Mays" brand and was wondering if I can use it on my Reef Tank. Would it be safe to use the Mighty Putty epoxy putty to hold some life rock together in an already established tank? will the Mighty Putty injure or kill my coral or fish while its activated and curing?
thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank with about 3 3-4 inch kenya tree so I should try it in that tank before I introduce it to my main tank. If no one here has experienced with it. Then I'll post my findings :) thanks

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i would think so if it was allowed to fully cure before being put into a stocked tank. i used aquamend for my live rock(sort of the same but it cures under water.) but my tank is new and only has LR.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will call the company later today and will try it out on the small 10g hospital tank and hope for the best I will post results to help otheres out in the future

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Have used a large quantity of it before with no problems. Seems identical to Aquamend or Holdfast. I would recomend the Aquamend which you can buy at most hardware stores. Holdfast from the LFS is also good and you get twice as much in one tube but the cost works out to about the same as buying 2 tubes of Aquamend.

Here are the MSDS for each. I noticed the Aquamend contains less chemical ingredients.

Aquamend - http://www.nationwidecoatings.com/PDF-Work/Datasheets/Nationwide/9700%20Datasheet%20-%20MSDS.pdf

Mighty Putty - http://www.itwconsumer.com/productfiles/msds_243.pdf

Personally, I spend a little extra on the red (coralline colored) epoxy. To me it just looks better.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I have been using mighty putty for over a year with no problems. I get it at sears for $10 for 3 sticks. I was payin $7 for one stick at the hardware store for the same stuff...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow So I see some people have been using it well heres my update although it would be kinda pointless now :p
So I called the company and one of the guys said he wouldnt see why it is not reef safe, although since the company has not tested on reef aquariums he is not allowed to say if it is or not. Today I introduced uncured mixxed mighty putty to the ten gallon tank. I set it next to 3 Kenya tree branches and nothing has happened from 9am till now (8:30 p.m.) The Kenya trees look as healthy as always so Im assuming its reef safe based on this tiny study and the previous comments stated above.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts