The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was told my tank was not tempered.. I'm pretty sure it is not as when I did the polarized test it seemed to block the light.. so I'll upload some pics to get some opinions.. The first picture is just a plain computer screen.. The second picture is a side panel. The third is the front pane.. and last is bottom.. the back looked just like the front

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
What are we looking for through the sunglass lens?

I don't see anything but black.
I hope this isn't a color thing....I'm color blind to some colors.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are we looking for through the sunglass lens?

I don't see anything but black.
I hope this isn't a color thing....I'm color blind to some colors.
From what i read online if it isn't tempered it should block the light.. I'm assuming thats what it is doing... I just wanted to know if anyone else has done the same test and gotten similar results on glass that is not tempered.. I was told the tank wasn't tempered just trying to make sure..

·
Registered
549 Posts
My results were similar to yours. Mine was non tempered. At one angle it would black out and 90 degrees off i would see the lines. IME tempered glass will show lines or scatter the colors into a rainbow star of sorts.

The way I verified was to use known piece of tempered glass. Since all side door glass in cars are tempered for saftey... there you go! Compare the known results and go from there.
Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My results were similar to yours. Mine was non tempered. At one angle it would black out and 90 degrees off i would see the lines. IME tempered glass will show lines or scatter the colors into a rainbow star of sorts.

The way I verified was to use known piece of tempered glass. Since all side door glass in cars are tempered for saftey... there you go! Compare the known results and go from there.
Good luck!
Thank you, I used a crock pot lid, and it looked like a freaking rainbow.. well drilling shall proceed...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to hear it! Just cause I'm nosey, what size tank ya building?
It's a 60 gallon. 36" long and I think 18-20" deep... I had it running but without the sump it was a pain when I went to school water changes were hard on my mom... But now thinking of going BB and sump to make maintenance a lot easier on mom and myself when I come home.. Wanting leds and an apex on it so all she has to do is shoot me a text or something like that if something wacky is up. The initial build has not officially started as i am taking summer courses.. But soon it will!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But then it's fall... And hunting season starts... Decisions decisions....
I know!!! So far looks like my deer herd has exploded..and hogs.. AND TURKEYS! Our county hasn't seen turkeys in a long time. I've got 3 groups of Poults.. looks like my trapping and predator hunting has helped them out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts