The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Unless you could be meticulous about siphoning - and super efficient at getting crap out yourself on a very regular basis, I'd almost think that a DSB would be the better choice here. That is, so long as sand is removed and replaced somewhat regularly without disturbing too much of the tank or releasing pockets of mayhem. :)

I'd also want to grow a bunch of algae in a remote location (maybe even a turf scrubber) and export it as fast as I could, include lots of Xenia for export as well :), maintain a high percentage of herbivores to carnivores...and oh yeah, avoid keeping Acropora :) :).

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Twitterbait said:
no skimmer??? just suck some water in your mouth, swish it around to create the foam, scrape the foam out and spit the rest of the water back in.
Genius!! :beer:

Of course it's possible to keep a tank without one; just a lot more work to get the same results.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Twitterbait said:
no skimmer??? just suck some water in your mouth, swish it around to create the foam, scrape the foam out and spit the rest of the water back in.
WOW took me all night to clean the tank that way, and my throat is a little raw from all the salt. I also found if you move your bottom lip the good water drains through your teeth and the foam remains...then spit the foam. took a while to get a good system going.....:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
well, lets see. if you happen to live next to a SW canal and you can just plumb your return, or is it feed pump, into it and have fresh NSW all of the time, you might not need a skimmer. :D

or a heater, chiller, pH meter, Ca reactor, kalk reactor. hmm, we are all doing this all wrong. i guess we all just need to move to the keys. :D

G~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Possible yes. Like previously posted as long as you have a method of nutrient removal. I believe from my expierence that some soft corals and invertibrates are more forgiving running skimmerless and limited waterchanges. In the eighties I a few very simple invert/soft coral tank with just crush coral, undergravel filter with airstones, and regular output lighting. The corals & inverts were all well and I did 10% water changes bi-weekly with instant ocean salt. No skimmer at the time. I also have read that Steve Tyree has been experimenting the last few years running his systems using what he calls zonal filtration. I would have to read more & see a maintained system besides his own before I could altually comment on how effective the system is and the maintenance needed regarding this system.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd think with a large sump with lots of live rock for natural filtration would help, maybe have a section with calurpa to filter off some of the excess nutrients.

·
c.a.g. owner and operator
2,311 Posts
geez tim ! it took the hobbyist 25 years to get where it is now with our skimmers :rotflmao: , and now you want to go and change that :doh: .whats next the return of crushed coral substrates in neon colors !:D . i think that the only reason not to run a skimmer(s) would be just to see if you can ! what you need to come up with is a submersible self contained manufactered mobile home , that is reasonibly priced that way we wouldn't need any equipment to have our reef tanks , we could be on the inside looking out for once ! now that would be a feat ! :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts