The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a photo of me xenia a couple of weeks ago(this is what it looked like 2 days ago also) and today. My frogspawn has pretty much done the same. Either from a spike in temp or maybe a sting from galaxia(?). I took some advice earlier and did a water change and ran some fresh chemipure but it's just gotten worse. Is it toast?

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Not dead. How is your flow in that area?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Give it some time. The temp spike may have just sent it into shock. I fragged some zenia couple weeks ago. The frags are great but the origional that it was cut from (I cut too close to rock) died off. It turned very brown and just dissolved away. Color still looks good on yours. Do you have pics of the frogspawn?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The frogspawn is normally like 6x's this size. My GSP and Zoos look healthy as can be. Could a galaxia sting do this? These are the only 2 that would be in range of the feelers.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Color seems good on that guy too. Could be a sting or just the high temp. My tanks have never gotten that hot so I don't know how they would respond to high temps. If they are the only thing close to the galaxia it may have stung them. I would just watch them. They don't appear to be jellying just withdrawn. If you havn't already move the galaxia I wouldn't move the frogspawn or zenia so they don't stress more than they already are. I don't have any experience with galaxia so I am just quessing here. IMO the corals looked stressed but not dieing.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far it's done good in high and low flow areas, but I'll move it up high and direct the flow there and see what happens. Thanks everyone, I'll give you an update soon.

·
Registered
300 Posts
My xenia do that too. They'll all the sudden start to seperate, and become two stalks where there was one. The new one will "crawl" away and they will eventually become two seperate stalks entirely. The process takes about 7-10 days. Shortly after, the stalk still standing where it was originally will wither and virtually dissolve in a matter of 2-3 days. And I mean to the point you can't even tell it was ever there to begin with. It's very strange.

Many people grow the stuff like weeds... it seems to do ok in my tank, but isn't really growing per se. I have less now than I did when I started, but it's been very active and interesting to watch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I grow alot of that xenia. It looks like it's coming back to me.
Galaxia does have a powerfull sting so it could have been that.
Xenia does'nt like high temps either but my tanks run around 83 sometimes in the summer and mines ok yet.
I had a hard time growing it until I started using reef plus in my tank. That was 3 years ago and I havent lost any xenia since. I grow enough to sell/trade to the LFS here.

kass

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It had done well in 83 degrees in my tank too. It had probably almost tripled in size since I got it about 3 mos ago. It was definitely something abrupt that has made it retract like this. I'll probably post an update pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just an update. Looks like my Xenia made it! Took a while, but it's back. The frogspawn is doing better, but it's still a mere shadow of it's former self.
Thanks again for all the help everyone!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
My Xeinia has split about four times in two months the thing is like a weed It's in a high flow area and gets feed two - three times per week. plus cyclopeez with regular fish feedings.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Glad to hear that they made a come back. Both my xenia and frogspawn love high flow. I've had temp. spike and mine did the same thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts