The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started my nano cycling yesterday and put some live rock in there. When I was looking in the tank I saw a tiny little something come out of the rock. It wasn't more than 2 cm long, and sort of a light beige color. I swear it looked like a small lobster-minus the claws. Is this a baby version of the dreaded Mantis shrimp I keep hearing about?

·
Registered
454 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>I wish someone would post a pic of a mantis shrimp so I could see what it looks like.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
It is hard to tell with out a picture. Based on behavorial trates, and your description, it sounds like a mantis. To give you a 100% answer, it would be best if we had a pic.

numan - do a search on yahoo images for mantis shrimp

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, it isn't colorful at all, so I know it isn't an adult. I've seen those pics. But I couldn't find a pic of a baby, so I thought someone else maybe had seen one. Is it even possible to get rid of one so small?

I got my rock from a store in Tyrone GA.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Sophie's mom said:
I got my rock from a store in Tyrone GA.
whoa, i didnt realize where you were from till i saw this, you went to pet showcase right? im in newnan, nice to know there is another reefer in town!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the Pet Showcase! Nice to meet 'cha. Have you gotten any live rock from them? What sucks is that the piece he's in is the best piece! How can I get him out?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Sophie's mom said:
Yes, the Pet Showcase! Nice to meet 'cha. Have you gotten any live rock from them? What sucks is that the piece he's in is the best piece! How can I get him out?
This is how I got rid of my mantis
I pulled the live rock out and placed it in a rubbermade container with saltwater in it. Grabbed some air tubing, then randomly blew air into the holes in the live rock.

Another method that you can try, is to place the live rock into a bucket of fresh water, it should come crawling out pretty quick.

Also another method is to pull the rock out of the tank, hold it over a bucket, ad spray soda water into the holes. It is supposed to jump pretty quick with that method. The only thing I don't like about it, is that it might have an ill effect on the live rock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:p :idea: Thank you SO MUCH! About 10 minutes ago, I discovered that he has a friend. If I can get at least one out I'll be happy. For now. Baby steps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am going to do my best to get a pic of the little guys :worm: and i'll post them here if I do. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
depending on when you get them out, i might want them, im thinking about settin a tank up for something like that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
To catch your mantis take a 1 liter soda bottle and cut the top off. Now invert the top into the bottom of the bottle and glue with silcone.
Let dry and fill with tank water. place mysis shrimp or krill or what ever food you have in the trap......And wait.
They are very smart critters. My mantis would steal the food and hoof it back to his hole.
I gave up and sold the rock and all to a LFS.........End of game.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Try not to kill em. They are beautiful animals although most consider pests. You should definately try to get em bith out because to get only one out would leave you with the same problem. Good luck Steve

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok. Getting a pic of something so darn small is almost IMPOSSIBLE! :doh: I'll have to get one when I catch them.
Andy-I'll let you know when I do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts