The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had many PH issues due to co2 lowering ph. Have found balance with addition of buffer to bring up slowly for the past week from 7.3 to 7.75 now and still rising slowly. using Kalk in top off water to help maintain level and adding the buffer once a day to bring up. only issue now is alk is over 14 DKH but corals seem to be really happy now with PH up . I know buffer what causing ph and alk rise but is high alk an issue?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow no one? I did some further reading and can't find much on high alk but did read about people running high alk on purpose to increase coral growth anyone know of this or answer on if high alk and issue short or long term?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Alk and calcium have a relationship. Natural seawater is 7, ( measured at 35ppt salinity).you do not need it at 14...some like to keep it higher, but if you are over 7 it is fine...ph should be in the 8.2 range, it will vary during the day/night, and without fresh air(high co2) it can drop into the 7.8 range. Open a window and it will go up.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply . I am familiar with all the relationships just it's were I'm at to maintain the 7.8 ph puts my alk up very high. Is that going to be an issue with the high alk?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
How and what are you using to check ph. It would be very hard to get a 7.3 ph, you in Florida, all you need is to get some fresh air into the house. Living in the NE where it has been below 10 for 2 months, my ph still stays between 7.8-8.2 all winter. High Alk can cause rtn and stn in some corals. Dosing to raise ph is always the worst thing to do. Stop dosing, get fresh air into the house and the Alk will slowly come down over a few months with weekly water changes.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I CANT GET FRESH AIR !!! I know that would help but no outside wall anywhere near tank . Had fresh air in tank on other tank with air pump outside but caused major bacteria blooms and issue with condensation in hoses due to high humidity in Florida. I use ph probe I check calibration once a week now to insure I'm dosing correctly . Probe very close when I check.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
You really just need to get fresh air into the house, not necessarily directly into the room, the co2 is all thru the house and fresh air will also be all thru the house and use a fan to circulate the air, is it a OH monitor probe? And at what time of the day or night are you checking, don't yell, just trying to help, the internet doesn't show us your set up. The best time is right after your lights go off, that will be the highest, it is normal to drop after lights off. Do you have a light on at night in your refugium?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know fresh air works but can leave window open when it's 90+ outside will have $400.00 electric bill. Ph probe on reef keeper so always monitoring . Leave window open now cause it's cool out but hit weather will be coming back soon. With window open it does get up to around 8.0 . I know fresh air best for easing ph but buffer was working good also . Only it jacks up the alk also. My original question was is high alk a problem ???? Seems it may not be according to some sites! Has anyone run long term with alk above 12 dkh???

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Ok, if you are familiar with the relationship, then you know, that if your alk goes too high, it will drive down your calcium...calcium and alk relationship should remain fairly stable...If one or the other goes too high or low, you will need to straighten out...there is a great article on reef chemistry by Randy Holmes Farley, Google it and read it...you might also consider a 3/4 inch tube from your outside to your sump to bring in a little fresh air, without killing your air conditioning...there are times that my ph drops as well. I do not worry about it, as long as it is in the upper 7 range. Dripping kalk usually keeps it up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts