The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my clowns(false percula) is swimming only on one side of the tank, and breathing heavy, and has his mouth open wide. i dont know if he is going to be ok?????? yesterday i put my new mh light on the tank, suspended 6" over it. i dont know if maybe this is causing him to freak out, but why only him, and not the other clown???? help me figure out what is wrong with him so i can make him better

thanks

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
My clownfish acted very similar when he had Ich. He only hovered in one area and resperated at an extreamly fast rate. I would QT in a tank and you might have to do a fw sterilization to remove parisite cysts from the gills whioch will inhibit proper respiration.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont have a qt tank, but i have a refugium, would he be alright in there????

i cant really medicate though because it is still connected to the rest of the tank. and the tank is filled with inverts. would he be alright if i leave him in the main tank???? would there be any ill effects to the other fish?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Is he eating or is he mouthing the food and then spitting it back out? My clown did the same and ended up with brooklynella and died last night. Do a search on brooklynella and see if he has the sx's - rapid breathing, erratic behavior, staying at top or bottom of tank, filmy appearance of skin, the feeding thing.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Get a bucket from walmart and run air line if you got a pump. Will be okay without light but you could put it near a window so it gets some natural sun. He needs to be treated and the sooner the better. I had a gramma with brook and treated with quick cure(also from walmart, not my first choice but when you find a sick fish in the middle of the night you do what you can) and it worked.

Ick by the way is the white spots and brook looks like their skin is peeling btw.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he doesnt really have any spots on him. im still a little nervous though because he still is breathing a little heavy but not as bad as yesterday. i am still going to try to set up a bucket to keep him in tomorrow morning. should the bucket be fresh water, or saltwater from the tank, or saltwater i just mixed? What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I always set up the QT tanks with salt water from the display and then replace the water used in the display with fresh. That way you have the bacteria from the display.

If you choose to do a fresh water disp it should last no more then a couple of minutes. I don't know exactly how long so please ask. Too long and you will kill him.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anyone know how i would go about doing a freshwater dip? is it better than doing a saltwater qt?

·
Registered
144 Posts
They are not esclusive. So I would start by QTing the little guy and seeing how he reacts to the appropriate treatment. Don't forget a heater in the QT tank (Bucket) . One of the important things now is to make sure he doesn't infect your other fish.

One other thing. Try not to stress him out alot when catching him for moving. Stress will harm him in this state as much as anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
to treat himin the qt should i use a medicine on him or do the low salinity thing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts